Question for you camera guys and gals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my wife a Olympus Evolt 510 a couple of years ago. It has been a great camera. She is wanting to get into more macro shooting. I am planning on buying her a new camera for her birthday. I have been looking at the Nikons and Canons, because of all the lens options. I went to two camera stores yesterday that both told me the Nikon D5100 was the best bang for the buck on the market.
Just wanting to know if any of you have, or have had a D5100. Likes and dis-likes?
If not. What camera are you using? What are the likes and dis-likes of it.
I have about a month to buy something, so I am still looking around at other options, but she likes the Nikons.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have 2 crowds in the Dslr world. The Nikon group and the Cannon group. I fall into the first category and the D5100 is a heck of a camera for the price.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know one of the guys at the local camera store did not have any in stock. He said he had several great cameras that he could hook me up with. Then he told me that he would wait, or even go somewhere else to get the D5100. That said alot for me.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911Sooner is right there are 2 groups. I am in the Canon group, I have been shooting with them for the last 20 yrs. Personally I prefer them for several reasons, but now that I that I go to type them, it really does boil down to preference on a lot of them.

If I was you I would look hard at something like the 7D. I find that the crop sensor in it is great on macro stuff, esp nature.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Canon 60d. That's what I use all the time now.

i31.photobucket.com_albums_c359_akbushcop_claydog1.jpg

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really does depend on which camp you talk to. I fall into the Nikon camp because of various reasons dating back to the film era and just never changed. These were taken with a Nikon D700 and an older Nikkor 35-70 lens with a macro 35 option. I'll go ahead and say that for most people, the vast majority of people, any modern full featured camera is capable of producing excellent images. It comes down to personal preference on the controls and feel of the makes. The photographer makes the shot, not the camera.

i13.photobucket.com_albums_a263_Forindooruseonly_Again3_1.jpg

i13.photobucket.com_albums_a263_Forindooruseonly_M29_1.jpg

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
forindooruseonly said:
The photographer makes the shot, not the camera.

this x 1000

The photographer's knowledge of light and composition is far more important than the camera itself. Realizing the camera is just a tool, my tool of choice is Nikon. I prefer the ergonomics of Nikon over Canon. You can't, however, go wrong with either. I used to use a Nikon D300 and high end Nikon glass but I sold most of the equipment to fund firearms. Today I use a D5000 and love it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both Canon and Nikon make good stuff. There is quite a bit of settings on newer DSLR's I'd ask my friends who have cameras and see what they have and are happy with and start my search there. Those are the people who are likely to guide you through all the neat things the camera will do and if need be might loan you a lens . My Sister in law has a Nikon and I have a Canon. I cant easily help them with their settings and they sure wish that they could borrow my lenses some times.
When I bought my Xsi 3 years ago or so I looked at both and landed on the canon simply because the glass was cheaper then the Nikkor counterparts

Latest posts

Top Bottom