Question for you camera guys and gals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being new to the DSLR world myself, I'm very happy with the Canon XTi that I purchased from Jarrett (jarrettszcz) in the classifieds here.

One thing that I'm finding out is that the Canon platform works really well to adapt to older manual lenses. I inhereted a bunch of old Asahi Pentax stuff from my Dad and it's really been fun using his old Takumar lenses with the digital.

If a newbie like me can end up taking a shot like this (some post processing help in cropping and dust removal from mhphoto) with what is really an older and low end DSLR, then Canon equipment must be ok.

i49.tinypic.com_20jpe1y.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love Macro! I too am a Nikon user. Actually I use Canons for point and shoot. (Love the Canon S100!) I am use a Nikon D80 and D90. Just about to step up to the D7000 or D700. Not sure which. :Heya: For good macro shots with a DSLR though you will want to ensure the use of a nice lens. There are a few focal lengths to chose from. Here is a 105 F2.8
farm7.staticflickr.com_6174_6251979698_7cb44edded_z.jpg

farm7.staticflickr.com_6208_6094505217_7af8f56fda_z.jpg

These can sometimes be good portrait lenses as well if you have the room to breath.
farm8.staticflickr.com_7236_6998912541_9607a90da7_z.jpg

Some canon point and shoots do a nice job with macro as well. Here is my G11 in an underwater housing:
(I know this one is blue: I like it like that!)
farm7.staticflickr.com_6213_6852782720_a21e1ff2af_b.jpg

Face of the Frog Fish
farm8.staticflickr.com_7068_6998904969_394e26390c_z.jpg

So much flexibility with DSLR though. Good to learn all the uses of all the tools! Great to hear of another getting into photography. :) Post those pics!

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll let you in on a little secret...in the camera world the camera really means very little...the most important and most expensive part of cameras are glass. I use a Cannon because their glass is the best in the business...though Nikon is not bad. The 5100 would be a very good starter camera for her in that range....If I could make a suggestion It would be to save a little more money up and and get a better camera body and better glass. She will outgrow the 5100 very fast. Just my opinion, but your mileage may vary.

vicsinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My question is whats wrong with the Olympus you have? I'm of the Canon group and used to use Olympus Film cameras. But honestly each person has a preference in their camera. Gunnut has a good point Pentax is one of the better kept secrets in the camera industry. Their bodies are fully sealed against dust no kidding. Their glass is pretty decent. spd67 is on the money your lenses are what really help make the most of what your dslr is capable of. There are adapters available to put nikon lenses on canon bodies etc etc.
Does your wife like the evolt? they have improved it in the 620 there are some amazing features. Check out the E-30 or the E-5 since you already I presume have olympus lenses. Really take a look at everything pick up a copy or two of some photo mags at the newstand somewhere try american photo mag or digital photo, or you can go here and read some reviews http://www.shutterbug.com/equipment-reviews

Latest posts

Top Bottom