Recommendations for security cameras?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife wants at least 2 cameras, and she specifically mentioned Ring, but from my little bit of research, Ring doesn't look like the best option.

I'd like whatever we get to be hardwired, with local storage. No subscriptions, no batteries, no motion activation delays.

2 way communication would be nice, but not necessary I don't think.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife wants at least 2 cameras, and she specifically mentioned Ring, but from my little bit of research, Ring doesn't look like the best option.

I'd like whatever we get to be hardwired, with local storage. No subscriptions, no batteries, no motion activation delays.

2 way communication would be nice, but not necessary I don't think.
Hi. We did ADT three years ago. It is connected to local police department too. Downside: power failures, internet interruptions, battery failures, etc. Then it takes a rocket scientist to figure it out. But when out of the house, we have protection in case of break-in. Cops can be here in two minutes.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want a doorbell cam self managed from the phone (women love those phones), Simplisafe is your best bet. You won't have Amazon spying on you (ring cameras) and you get good support & monitoring if you want, or not if you dont.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have this system. Works great. We have local storage, and can use an app to monitor stuff on our phones, everything is hardwired. The picture/video quality is great, day and night. I get about a week and a half worth of footage from 4 cameras saved before it starts deleting footage. There’s a panic alarm, speaker, and light on each camera too, so you can make the cameras be more obvious if you wish by having the light turn on when the camera detects motion. The panic alarm will allow you to hit a button on the receiver box or on your phone, and it will turn on all the camera lights and set off a siren to let the neighborhood something is wrong. You can also listen to audio/talk to people through your cameras. They also have facial recognition, so where you can designate who certain people are (say your mailman or mother in law) and get a notification when the camera sees them. No subscription fees, setup is pretty easy, other than crawling around the attic. I have it set up to where we can monitor everything from the app on our phone, as well as log in to the DVR box via the IP address while connected to its dedicated network.

Latest posts

Top Bottom