Question for you M1 Garand guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up with a Springfield M1 Garand in some trading I did. I have never had one before and to be honest, I don't know anything about them. I know that this one does not have the original stock. Someone took a rifle stock and worked it to fit. I am going to take this to the gun show tomorrow and try to do some trading with it.
What should I be looking at getting out of this? I have found replacement stocks for about $70.00 on Ebay. How much price difference would it make if I put a factory stock on it? A guy I work with told me that he thought it would bring around $500 like it is, but I want to get a good ideal before the show tomorrow. Here is a couple of pics. Thanks guys.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
what you have is somebody's abortion.
from what I can see you will need stocks, a barrel, possibly an op rod and all the front gas assy parts to put it back original.
Does the bolt in the top of the handguard go all the way thru the barrel?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I agree with mr ed, someone seriously jacked that Garand up. A factory stock will probably not fit correctly due to the shortened barrel and gas system, so I wouldn't waste time trying to restock it unless you're going to buy all the other parts to put it back to correct.

Good luck at the gun show, if not hit up some pawn shops to see what they'd give you. Last resort, strip it down and sell the gun as parts.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I agree with mr ed, someone seriously jacked that Garand up. A factory stock will probably not fit correctly due to the shortened barrel and gas system, so I wouldn't waste time trying to restock it unless you're going to buy all the other parts to put it back to correct.

Good luck at the gun show, if not hit up some pawn shops to see what they'd give you. Last resort, strip it down and sell the gun as parts.

What do you think is a fair price to ask for it at the show? If I decide to keep it, what would I be looking at?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the others about the futility of trying to restore this monstrosity. If it was a Winchester or International Harvester receiver, it might've been worthwhile saving. Unless this Springfield has a two-, three-, or four-digit serial number, it's probably not going to be worth trying to restore. Look into parting out the rifle, especially if the other parts are stamped WRA or IHC. If you get lucky and the trigger assembly is all WRA, you'd be looking at $150-200 for that alone.

But if it's all or mostly SA-marked... maybe a couple hundred bucks for the whole rifle. Unless you find someone who just has to have it the way it is.

Of course, that's just my :twocents:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly it's so far from original that I couldn't even put a value on it. It would depend entirely on the desire of a potential buyer. I would think that anything over $500 is pushing it.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly it's so far from original that I couldn't even put a value on it. It would depend entirely on the desire of a potential buyer. I would think that anything over $500 is pushing it.

I am hoping to maybe trade it for a S&W 15-22 or the Sig 22 rifle or something like that. Do you think I might be able to trade for something like that? Thanks for the help guys.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What an abortion! $500 is way to high for that POS. CMP is currently selling complete un-aborted Service Grades for $595 (note for those who keep trying to pimp Garands in the classifieds for hundreds more). I would feel guilty charging anything over $300-$400 for that rifle (less if the receiver isn't USGI).

I'd try to part it out....but looking at the pics, the receiver might not even be USGI. Tell us what the markings say on the top of the receiver, behind the rear sight.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I can get about $400, I will be happy. Like I said, It was in a trade deal. I don't have alot in it. I knew when I looked at pics of the M1s that it had been shortend. It does shoot fine. I am really in no hurry to do anything with it. It is fun to shoot. Just hoping to get another 22 rifle out of the deal. If I keep it, I am in no hurry to put it back together. That is why I was wanting advise on if it was worth it, or if I should just sale or trade it to someone who wants it. Thanks for the input guys.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it shoots ok and isn't a re-weld, I would say keep it and have a nice hunting rifle.
Whoever did that to it needs their butt kicked......a bunch.

I can hardly stand to look at it, poor girl........:crying::cry11: