Questions for anyone that’s built a boom box Using a car head unit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the middle of just such a build. I purchased a Pioneer Bluetooth unit on closout that has no CD player. So here’s my questions,

1. the wiring diagram shows a ground, a hot wire, and a continuous hot wire. Where am I going to get a ground source since there is no car body to ground it to?
2. I know the continuous hot wire is so presets and other setups are not lost when one turns off the unit. However, does that mean I run that wire directly to the 9 amp hr sealed led acid battery I’m using for power? What’s the difference in that and running the other hot to a binding post strip I have for other hot needed such as a clock and battery voltage leds I’m also installing?
I’ve hooked up the head unit to 30 amp 12v power supply I have. The unit will not come on. Why is that?

HELP Appreciated as I’m stuck!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep hook all the hot wires to power supply Positive voltage and hook the chassis ground to the negative side of power supply.
If there is a negative battery wire hook it to the negative side of the power supply also.

Some "Power Supplies" like a Newer car battery charger will not supply any voltage unless is senses a low voltage situation.

If you have a car battery laying around or easy acess under the hood I would hook the head unit to it and see if it comes on.
That is if you get nothing from power supply.

Also check inline fuses for good contact.
If you still get nothing then it is a busted head unit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom