Race/Competiton Guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be aware not all .40sw's are major PF. And they usually don't chrono at local matches anyway.

True. Power factor is usually only a concern at major matches, but its good to know ypur loads and where your PF is in case someone decides to break out the chrono, or you decide to try out a major. "Most" factory ammo will meet PF out of a 5" barrel.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow.....what a ton of info! I think I may go the glock route until I decide if Im dedicated to spend a crap ton. Another question is I noticed not springfield guns were brought up. I have an xd 4''. Would I be better off just buying a glock or trying to buy a barrel/slide along with the trigger...etc...........

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow.....what a ton of info! I think I may go the glock route until I decide if Im dedicated to spend a crap ton. Another question is I noticed not springfield guns were brought up. I have an xd 4''. Would I be better off just buying a glock or trying to buy a barrel/slide along with the trigger...etc...........

Ive never been a springfield fan myself, but I can see why the XD's arent used as much as a M&P or glock...that grip safety may need to be pinned to stay activated. Most comp 1911's are pinned as well so depressing the safety isnt an issue. Not as much aftermarket support for xd/xdm too...

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The XD hasn't caught popularity for a couple reasons.
The grip safety can cause troubles if not depressed properly.
The bore axis is rather high which translates to more felt recoil.
Theres an aftermarket for it, but its not the plethora like it is for the glock, 2011, or even the M&P.

If you're serious about competing, you definitely need a 5" barrel and .40 caliber for uspsa, idpa, ipsc to get the results you want. I used a glock 19 for a year because its what I had and as soon as I saved up for the M&P pro, my scores improved drastically.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot the XDm 5.25 9mm in Production Division. It works good for me.

I want to get a .40 caliber gun for Limited Division and I'll probably look at the Glock 35 or 24 and the M&P Pro 5".

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're serious about competing, you definitely need a 5" barrel and .40 caliber for uspsa, idpa,

Why do so many insist on using .40 for competition guns? Wouldn't 9mm be much cheaper to shoot large amounts of throughout the year?

.40 gives you major scoring factor. 9mm is minor. You get a better score with the larger caliber.

Regarding power factor and 9mms, we need to correct some misinformation.

USPSA Production Division is scored MINOR POWER regardless of caliber shot, so 9mm or loaded down .40 are both commonly used.

IDPA has NO DIVISION that scores .40 as major power for semi-autos. ESR can have .40 major revolver. SSR, SSP, ESP divisions are all minor power. CDP is .45 only.

So a G35 or M&P Pro in 9mm fits perfectly into USPSA Production and IDPA SSP or ESP.

I have an xd 4''.

IMHO, go shoot a few matches with what you have before trying to buy the perfect rig.
Nobody expects you to do anything besides be safe, have fun, and maybe learn.
See you at the range....

Last edited:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reagring power factor and 9mms, we need to correct some misinformation.

USPSA Production Division is scored MINOR POWER regardless of caliber shot, so 9mm or loaded down .40 are both commonly used.

IDPA has NO DIVISION that scores .40 as major power for semi-autos. ESR can have .40 major revolver. SSR, SSP, ESP divisions are all minor power. CDP is .45 only.

So a G35 or M&P Pro in 9mm fits perfectly into USPSA Production and IDPA SSP or ESP.

Oh Snap!

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can see where you would think there was misinformation here, however, its not misinformation at all. Mr. Shooter and I were discussing "limited" division, not "production"... Hence the talkig of SSS magwells, dawson and Taylor freelance basepads, trigger jobs etc. All of which are not allowed in "production "

Latest posts

Top Bottom