Rain collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're going to want to purify the crap out of it if you're planning to drink it - REGARDLESS of roof type.. so go for it.
If you plan to just use it to watering the garden and stuff like that.. no need to worry about it at all. no diff than regular runoff in your yard.

Chlorinator / dechlorinator is all that is needed for drinking as long as you dont suck the chunks up off the bottom.

I would not be surprised if the bacteria and lack of getting rid of it easily is what caused cisterns to fall out of favor way back.

Or lack or rainfall!

Depending on your garden size and rainfall during the growing season, you would probably need a large large container, doubtful that 55gal drums would be worthwhile in your climate.

If your garden is 20x40' for example and you want to put down 1" of water, you'll need almost 500 gallons!

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my rain collection system at my off grid cabin. The water is used for everything but consumption. We have a metal roof but it would work for asphalt shingles. You just may need to clean out the chat that will collect at the bottom of the barrel occasionally. You may not need to for your use but I transfer the water to a second tank that has a 12v pump for pressurized use feeding faucets etc. there is a filter on my transfer hose. Once full the overflow from the second barrel dumps into a buried pipe and takes the water safely away from the cabin I have 3 of these that will collect a total of around 300 gallons. a 1/2” rain will fill them
IMG_4179.jpeg

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my rain collection system at my off grid cabin. The water is used for everything but consumption. We have a metal roof but it would work for asphalt shingles. You just may need to clean out the chat that will collect at the bottom of the barrel occasionally. You may not need to for your use but I transfer the water to a second tank with a pump for pressurized use feeding faucets etc. there is a filter on my transfer hose. Once full the overflow from the second barrel dumps into a buried pipe and takes the water safely away from the cabin I have 3 of these that will collect a total of around 300 gallons. a 1/2 rain will fill them View attachment 444412
PS there are screens on the surface of each barrel that filter off the bigger crap.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was our catchment tank in Ketchikan. We only had a simple spun corded filter on the pump outlet side. No chemicals added. The tank held about 8,000 gallons. It was our sole water source. View attachment 444530
With rainfalls up to 196" a year, Ketchikan could easily keep that tank filled.
We've been there twice. Amazing place. Rarely freezes, and nice summer temps.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With rainfalls up to 196" a year, Ketchikan could easily keep that tank filled.
We've been there twice. Amazing place. Rarely freezes, and nice summer temps.

There were a few summers that we had to have water delivered. $250 dollars for 3000 gallons. I’d tell my kids 5 minute limit on showers. They started believing me when I turned the pump off.mid shower. Best tasting water I’ve ever drank.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a first flush diverter that goes into a 55 gallon barrel before two 300 gallon tanks. Depends on how large the roof area is as to how much you divert before final catchment.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is my rain collection system at my off grid cabin. The water is used for everything but consumption. We have a metal roof but it would work for asphalt shingles. You just may need to clean out the chat that will collect at the bottom of the barrel occasionally. You may not need to for your use but I transfer the water to a second tank that has a 12v pump for pressurized use feeding faucets etc. there is a filter on my transfer hose. Once full the overflow from the second barrel dumps into a buried pipe and takes the water safely away from the cabin I have 3 of these that will collect a total of around 300 gallons. a 1/2” rain will fill them View attachment 444412

another little tid bit.....that pipe you see in the upper right of the picture is a drain pipe to drain for the winter the hot water 'system'. There is a 300' coil of 1" black plastic pipe on the roof that heats up nicely for hot water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom