Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Share it when you’re done!

The fall or a picture of the deck????

....ain't no way I'm getting a video of me stepping off the deck.

Oh, and by the way, it is NOT going to be a fancy deck. Just something better than what we had. Our old steps were built with 2"x10" lumber for the main "frame" of each level of the stairs. At my age and with my bum knees, I've grown very tired of making those steps.

The old steps.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a 1950s hassock fan that was in rough cosmetic condition, but the motor was sound and the blades still true, so I removed the motor, blades, switch, diffuser cone, and the three-armed motor mount. I disassembled the motor, cleaned up the rotor and stator, applied two fresh coats of dielectric varnish to the windings, and re-aligned the bearings. Then I reassembled the motor, checked its function, and put it aside. The cage I built from walnut and alder, with bead-blasted brass rods, and I turned and threaded a new brass shaft with cap to hold the top in place. The walnut top was laser-engraved by my girlfriend, and I inlaid pieces of cherry, maple, and purple heartwood that she also cut out with the laser. Then I poured black-dyed epoxy into the arcs and around the pieces of wood, let it cure, and sanded it all smooth. Three coats of polyurethane went on the wood. Then I put fresh paint on the metal components, and reassembled the whole thing. The results:

859A798B-0472-4394-A154-D1609DBCBC64.jpeg

22F60DC9-33BD-4ACB-B0B2-20160D9B4D07.jpeg

Last edited:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I found a 1950s hassock fan that was in rough cosmetic condition, but the motor was sound and the blades still true, so I removed the motor, blades, switch, diffuser cone, and the three-armed motor mount. I disassembled the motor, cleaned up the rotor and stator, applied two fresh coats of dielectric varnish to the windings, and re-aligned the bearings. Then I reassembled the motor, checked its function, and put it aside. The cage I built from walnut and alder, with bead-blasted brass rods, and I turned and threaded a new brass shaft with cap to hold the top in place. The walnut top was laser-engraved by my girlfriend, and I inlaid pieces of cherry, maple, and purple heartwood that she also cut out with the laser. Then I poured black-dyed walnut into the arcs and around the pieces of wood, let it cure, and sanded it all smooth. Three coats of polyurethane went on the wood. Then I put fresh paint on the metal components, and reassembled the whole thing. The results:

View attachment 355510

View attachment 355512
Very very cool

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While we wintered in Arizona this year, I made a decision to make rock handles for a steak knife set and handles for a chefs knife at the lapidary shop.
First order of business was to go rock hunting in the Sonoran desert at the Superstition Mountains.
B1F2DBBF-B7B4-4A51-B666-6ABE6FB6AD5F.jpeg

Finally deciding on some lepidolite, dirty quartz, and a jade looking rock that couldn’t be positively identified.

After cutting slabs on a rock saw, the pattern of the knife handle is traced on the slab.
121CB894-AAD6-440B-AB4E-124FBDD1B13D.jpeg
8653F434-A362-4073-A7E8-5A00D0BF1211.jpeg

Rough shaping the handles.
A9AC08FF-D685-4C90-84CE-5A730CDAD378.jpeg

Finally, the finished products. About 6 hours of forming and polishing the handles to a high luster. Final polish was on a 50,000 grit polishing wheel. The pic’s really don’t show the shine.

3D58A7CD-DCC2-43F3-ACCC-DCDA9AA21AD3.jpeg

18BBC2BC-CEE8-479F-A038-CDC32A075526.jpeg

Wife stayed busy in the stained glass shop.
The entire back seat in the truck is full of these stones. These are only a few examples.
9F25D385-CCC5-4013-B825-57F114707FE6.jpeg

Attachments

• 650B7700-288F-47D2-B14F-EE871B601D22.jpeg
    650B7700-288F-47D2-B14F-EE871B601D22.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a 1950s hassock fan that was in rough cosmetic condition, but the motor was sound and the blades still true, so I removed the motor, blades, switch, diffuser cone, and the three-armed motor mount. I disassembled the motor, cleaned up the rotor and stator, applied two fresh coats of dielectric varnish to the windings, and re-aligned the bearings. Then I reassembled the motor, checked its function, and put it aside. The cage I built from walnut and alder, with bead-blasted brass rods, and I turned and threaded a new brass shaft with cap to hold the top in place. The walnut top was laser-engraved by my girlfriend, and I inlaid pieces of cherry, maple, and purple heartwood that she also cut out with the laser. Then I poured black-dyed walnut into the arcs and around the pieces of wood, let it cure, and sanded it all smooth. Three coats of polyurethane went on the wood. Then I put fresh paint on the metal components, and reassembled the whole thing. The results:

View attachment 355510

View attachment 355512
Beautiful work. Should be greatly appreciated this coming summer.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While we wintered in Arizona this year, I made a decision to make rock handles for a steak knife set and handles for a chefs knife at the lapidary shop.
First order of business was to go rock hunting in the Sonoran desert at the Superstition Mountains.
View attachment 355502

Finally deciding on some lepidolite, dirty quartz, and a jade looking rock that couldn’t be positively identified.

After cutting slabs on a rock saw, the pattern of the knife handle is traced on the slab.
View attachment 355506View attachment 355505

Rough shaping the handles.
View attachment 355507

Finally, the finished products. About 6 hours of forming and polishing the handles to a high luster. Final polish was on a 50,000 grit polishing wheel. The pic’s really don’t show the shine.

View attachment 355514
View attachment 355513

Wife stayed busy in the stained glass shop.
The entire back seat in the truck is full of these stones. These are only a few examples.
View attachment 355516
The pink stuff looks like the rhodonite my dad collected in western Colorado after I moved out in 72, and before I wandered through his place again in the late 80's. I might still have a couple of cabochon blanks he gave me then. Most of my jewelry rock was stolen from storage in 2017. Pretty stuff, polished up nicely, but I never got to do anything with it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s the plan. I made the entry door big enough to get a recliner in there. Add a solar charger and Wi-Fi and I won’t have to head to cabin for lunch and a nap.
Install a home burglar alarm infrared motion detector outside when you are asleep so you won't miss a big one or sasquatch sneekin up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom