Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was at our old house. The span on my ceiling was 13’7” or something like that. I couldn’t find 14’ t&g pine so I had to buy 16’ instead. But I didn’t want to throw away the 2’ off fall so I thought I’d see what it looked like to trim out our new windows with it. I think it turned out well. I’ll do it again some day.
IMG_3568.jpeg

IMG_3413.jpeg

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 12-ton bottle jack in my press blew out an oring a few days ago. I got a new jack on sale at Harbor Freight after I took the old jack apart to see if it was worth rebuilding. It had a few bad scratches on the ram so I knew it wasn't worth rebuilding. I took the old jack apart and converted it to an adjustable jack stand. A little lathe and mill time and it was done.
DSCF6422.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 12-ton bottle jack in my press blew out an oring a few days ago. I got a new jack on sale at Harbor Freight after I took the old jack apart to see if it was worth rebuilding. It had a few bad scratches on the ram so I knew it wasn't worth rebuilding. I took the old jack apart and converted it to an adjustable jack stand. A little lathe and mill time and it was done.View attachment 420200
Did you do that Acme thread on the lathe or have a tap and die?

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3d printed -Redesign- size and angles for a friend of mines fuel gage on his plane. The old one wasn't the right size and looks horrible and are not available. Angles, depth and some sizing issues on the one he has. I didn't put installation holes in due to the fact he is in another state, and he wanted to do that on site.
anyway, he will put decals and install. pic 4 and 5 are ones he had that he has.

hobby thread maybe also, but I really enjoy making stuff on 3d printer that I create which I do a lot or recreate versus just downloading a file.

Attachments

• IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0789.jpg
    IMG_0789.jpg
    463.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 71865370078__D59293A4-96EC-48E7-B82A-389E16CB441D.jpg
    71865370078__D59293A4-96EC-48E7-B82A-389E16CB441D.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0342.jpg
    IMG_0342.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0351 rotate.jpg
    IMG_0351 rotate.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 0

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3d printed -Redesign- size and angles for a friend of mines fuel gage on his plane. The old one wasn't the right size and looks horrible and are not available. Angles, depth and some sizing issues on the one he has. I didn't put installation holes in due to the fact he is in another state, and he wanted to do that on site.
anyway, he will put decals and install. pic 4 and 5 are ones he had that he has.

hobby thread maybe also, but I really enjoy making stuff on 3d printer that I create which I do a lot or recreate versus just downloading a file.
I wish I could get the hang of creating 3d prints. I have a 3d printer and I've printed some useful (and a lot of useless) stuff, but I just can't get my head around 3d software enough to be useful. I've worked in AutoCAD in 2d for 30 years now. Unfortunately that doesn't translate that well to 3d.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could get the hang of creating 3d prints. I have a 3d printer and I've printed some useful (and a lot of useless) stuff, but I just can't get my head around 3d software enough to be useful. I've worked in AutoCAD in 2d for 30 years now. Unfortunately that doesn't translate that well to 3d.
I sorta resemble that remark, except I goofed off enough in my mechanical drawing class in 1969 to flunk it, and have absolutely no experience with any sort of CAD software... Makes me want to go back in time and kick my younger self all sorts of painful places. And yell a lot!

Too freaking late, of course
Seriously considering taking another class, but it took me 7 years & 3 months to finish a precision machinists class that usually takes about 8 or 9 months, full-time. I did it part-time, but...
:hithead:

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
about 40 years ago I was a machinist. been an office type non manufacturing ever since. That said, if you can create 2d drawings, and can learn the software,(computer literate) -I personal feel that 3d are not that much harder with a little study. But isn't something you will learn in an hour for sure.
Depends on the complexity of the part, but math and geometry understanding is good also. good luck :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom