range specs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently acquired my little piece of heaven (40 acres). I need to find some resources on how to build a nice shooting range. Up to 400yrds long-gun, and I'd like those metal plate style targets for pistol. I would appreciate any info you guys could share with me. Thx

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took quotes for two weeks. Sorry, It didn't occur to me post here. I turned in a bid last monday to my agent. He may have already started, I don't know. Thx for the lead.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely its not that hard.

I am probably missing something but I think I got the steps.

Step 1: Find an area of land

Step 2: Make sure land is clear of anything you dont want to shoot and preferably clear of obstructions to your vision that would limit your field of view.

Step 3: Measure distances to targets that you wish to shoot

Step 4: Place Targets

Step 5: Build backstops behind targets ie: big dirt pile

Step 6: Build a shooting platform if you like

Step 7: Blast away

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The basic steps are simple. I'm wanting to use nra spec target size, height from ground etc... It may be an ocd of mine, but if I'm going to spend a lot of time and money on this project, I want to be proud of it when it's done. Also, when I invite you guys to come shoot, you won't laugh at me, and may want to come back.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you just have to be careful who you let use it! don't need any jerks.! we have a few over at our club that shoot anything that isn't nailed down
!!!!! :rant:

Same at our range in Ponca City. We have had bowling pins shot with ak's, and the 4X4 legs shot in half on the target frames. 99% of the people do just fine.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surely its not that hard.

I am probably missing something but I think I got the steps.

Step 1: Find an area of land

Step 2: Make sure land is clear of anything you dont want to shoot and preferably clear of obstructions to your vision that would limit your field of view.

Step 3: Measure distances to targets that you wish to shoot

Step 4: Place Targets

Step 5: Build backstops behind targets ie: big dirt pile

Step 6: Build a shooting platform if you like

Step 7: Blast away

Missed a couple steps the NRA Range Manual would mention. I am assuming that your land is out in the country, not in a city limits and not subject to use zoning.

1A: Check for downrange safety fan. How big depends on what you'll shoot.

1B: Check for neighbors. If you have a number of neighbors downrange or close to you, they may not be happy about a new range cropping up. Depending on wind, humidity and time of day, a high power rifle can be heard 3-4 miles away.

5A: Insure that dirt pile is sharp, near vertical faced, on the impact side. Further make sure it is rock-free. Rocks cause ricochets.

7A: Consider inviting your neighbors over to your range. If they use it, they're less likely to complain about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom