RCBS Trim Mate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a RCBS Trim Mate. I seem to be having trouble with the deburring tool. I can put a piece of brass in it straight down with pressure and feel it cut. To achieve a "good" debur I have to rotate the brass around in a circle while pushing down on the brass. If I just push straight down it seems to take forever compared to the chamfering tool which works really well. I have tried to tighten the allen screw on the side of the deburring tool but still my little handheld combination chamfer/deburring tool gives better and faster chamfer/deburrs.
I would just use the little handheld tool but my wrist starts clicking and there is nowhere to oil that.

Any one have any ideas?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're "deburring", you're not supposed to be cutting. You only knock the burrs off after the brass has been trimmed/cut. And, if you're cutting the brass at the mouth, you're also affecting the thickness of the brass at the case mouth which can cause problems too.

There is debate on some of the other forums about this step even being needed. The argument is that the outside burrs will be knocked off when the brass is sized. The inside burrs are eliminated when the bullet is inserted into the case and seated. Only the "match" grade shooters get real fussy about it. I don't know what brass you are prepping, but rifle brass is the only brass that needs trimming.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're "deburring", you're not supposed to be cutting. You only knock the burrs off after the brass has been trimmed/cut. And, if you're cutting the brass at the mouth, you're also affecting the thickness of the brass at the case mouth which can cause problems too.

There is debate on some of the other forums about this step even being needed. The argument is that the outside burrs will be knocked off when the brass is sized. The inside burrs are eliminated when the bullet is inserted into the case and seated. Only the "match" grade shooters get real fussy about it. I don't know what brass you are prepping, but rifle brass is the only brass that needs trimming.

I was prepping once fired 556 brass for my (match grade) service rifle. I always resize first, then trim. This batch of brass had enough "burrs" that it needed deburring and chamfering. I have, at times had burrs get between the brass and bullet causing problems chambering, so all trimmed brass gets the deburr/chamfer treatment. It just seems like this tool I have doesn't do the job like it should.

Last edited:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like DennisShoddy said, you can contact RCBS and see if they have any solutions. You may also try different tools from different manufacturers.

Since you're talking about .223, you might also try a new .223 cleaning brush and run it in and out of the case mouth to remove any debris still in the neck. The reason for a NEW brush is to not have any solvents, chemicals or oils on the brush that may harm the powder later.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Call RCBS, and tell them your problem.
I can assure you they will solve your issues.

I can tell you from experience, RCBS know they have issues and they have not offered anything to fix it. Now they just come out with a Carbide deburring tool and an outside deburring tool for only 45.00 each. They pissed me off with this one.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I've had the same issue. And it only seems to be 5.56/.223 brass, it cuts larger calibers just fine. If you look at the cutter, the cutting surface just BARELY goes down that small, you are at the very bottom edge of the size range that it will do. I would call them and see what they say, maybe they have a different cutter now. As for me I got a Dillon trimmer now, and it cuts so clean I don't need to do them anymore.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took everyone's advice a sent them an email via their website. I'll see what they say. I wonder which manufacturer's tools would interchange?
I guess I could have someone cut my handheld tool in half and install a stud on each of the halves to adapt it to the Trim Mate.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sent them an email explaining my problems with the deburring tool and asked if they had any other suggestions. They responded with a email saying that they have ordered the part for me at No Charge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom