Re-staking a castle nut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWLFTMFW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an LMT with a staked castle nut and i'm trying to put a new sling setup on the rifle, and hence must remove that end-plate-thing (sorry for the slack term) that the castle nut is staked with. When i get through with putting the new end-plate-thing on (with the attach point for the sling) can i restake the castle nut or is that oppurtunity lost? I imagine that it is probably a function of the new end-plate-thing but since I'm definitely not an armorer I figured i would ask you guys.

Also, to un-stake the nut should I just take it to one of the gun shops or grab something that will do the job (no punches at the house) and go at it? If i can re-stake it i imagine that will have to be the work of a gunshop/smith so if that's the case then i'll just take the rifle up there and let them have it. Thanks for any info!

BCurry1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes you can restake the castle nut. Go to lowes and buy a spring-loaded punch. I used this to restake mine after installing the ASAP plate. Works great.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe your terminology is just throwing me off but I stake the plate not the actual castle nut. So you technically shouldn't be re-staking anything if you are replacing the plate with a new one. It will be a new stake job. I think that's what you meant but just wanted to clarify.

CWLFTMFW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe your terminology is just throwing me off but I stake the plate not the actual castle nut. So you technically shouldn't be re-staking anything if you are replacing the plate with a new one. It will be a new stake job. I think that's what you meant but just wanted to clarify.

Joshell, (sorry, had to play with the name) you're right. It is a new stake job. Upon looking closer i realized that it's a simple matter of punching close to that edge to get the new, hopefully, ASAP plate staked. I more/less needed to know if i can undo that original staking myself. Which it seems i can. Thanks again for the continued input. Got a question, and feel free to reply via pm, but do you do "work" on ARs? I've got some ideas i want to hit on. Thanks again.

CWLFTMFW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got that thing off and replaced the plate tonight, finally. I un-did the staking in the original plate but there was still some edge/lip at one of the channels so I ended up just over-powering it and moving it past; see also: rubber mallet and ar15 tool. Now it's time to re-stake it. What size punch are you guys using or what other methods do you have of securing this thing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom