rear sight removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthebrewer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am needing to have the rear sights removed from my mosin, i thought i could do it myself but i have broken 2 punches trying to do so, anyone know where i can get this done?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, why are you wanting to remove the rear sight? Second, is this a 91/30? Third, what year is stamped on the receiver? Earlier receivers had the rear sight soldered in place, while later ones (circa 1942 IIRC) started being pinned instead of soldered, though the soldering lingered for a while longer.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK - that's a "gray area" year. Are there any cross-pins? If there are none, it's probably soldered and you'll need to soften the solder. You might PM Honeybee and see if he's done that before, though he's moving to OKC if he hasn't already done so.

Personally, I like the scout mounts where you only need to remove the rear sight leaf. Can't recall if there were any such mounts for the 91/30, though.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pins on my '43 were pretty easy to remove and the site base came right off. I know that doesn;t help you much, but I wonder if you might ought to try and knock them out from the other side in case they are tapered?

Latest posts

Top Bottom