Recent topics... Work ethic thread. your experiences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to agree that its largely the payscale. Your parents want someone who is professional however professionals want to be paid well for their time, anything below $10 will attract the people they are not looking for.

And also it seems like your parents just let the employess get away with too much, in no way do I mean they should be a hardasses but they have to stick to their guns when it comes to the rules.

My old job allowed 3 unpaid call-ins for the quarter before you would get a strike. They also gave 4 hrs paid time off for each pay period (two weeks) you worked w/o calling in so that created a little incentive to not call in. So we would earn one full day of paid vacation a month if you didnt call in for the entire month. And if you didnt call in for 4 months straight they gave you an extra paid day on top of the regular days you earned. (I have no clue how that compares to other jobs bc that was my first one but it seemed to work)

With that ^^^ I was able to schedule a 3 day weekend once a month using my vacation days. My job was really good and it had a good balance of not being strict but the consequences were spelled out if we were out of line.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Obvious.

Even non english speaking illegals down here in the poorer part of OK are making more than 8 an hr....

Well, my folks' employees would be, too, if they would bother to show up and do a good job. Like I said, within 6 months nearly everyone was making $10+ with vacation time, which isn't bad for a non-skilled position that doesn't even require a HS diploma. Hell, that's more than I made as a paramedic not-so-many years ago. They've also got Aflac! :þ

Electrician Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO its not entitrely just the payscale. People are just plain lazy and dont care these days. I had a former Army guy who was being paid $20 per hour perform in the exact ways you are describing here. And it is almost impossible to find a new apprentice these days due to the fact it takes so long to get a journeymans license. They know they can go somewhere like your parents store and make the same money and be in the AC all day.
I wish I could magically solve these issues, I would love to quit putting in 60+ hours per week. I have had a few opportunities to expand, which would have required hiring more people, but I have chosen to keep it small with just myself and one other guy who helps me as I need him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom