Recent topics... Work ethic thread. your experiences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A keen eye on the front end is critical. You're better off not hiring someone than hiring a rotten one. I tend to look at how someone presents themselves the first time they walk in the door. I don't care if their clothes are well worn, so long as they're neat and clean. I really look at someone's footwear. It's usually where they'll not bother, figuring no one will look at that. Same for grooming. Do they need a haircut? Are their fingernails clean and trimmed? If they don't walk in the door dressed and groomed how you'd like them when working, they're probably not too interested in working there. I tend to avoid overly groomed or flamboyant people. That signals that they expect the attention to be on them, rather than the work product. As for ethics, I recommend a set of written questions that specifically address concerns like attendance, honesty, work habits, etc. The words they use to answer the questions are not nearly as important as their reaction to the questions themselves. Any good parent should be able to recognize when someone is saying what they think you want to hear, rather than how they really feel on a subject. :)

This may sound weird, but I try to walk them to the door after an interview. I like to see the condition of the vehicle they get into. Is it neat, clean, well maintained? This will tell you a lot about their personal habits and whether they're going to have issues getting to work. I also never offer a position at the conclusion of an interview. That makes you sound desperate for help. They get the feeling that you need them more than they need your job offer. Wait a day or two to see if they follow up. Even if they don't and you call them back, don't make an offer over the phone. Tell them you'd like to do a follow up and gauge their interest. If they act like that's a hassle, how do you think they'll feel about the work itself?

Once they're on staff treat them with respect, but don't hesitate to call them on the carpet for bad behavior. The best time to make an impact on attendance is the very 1st time they aren't at work on time, not the 3rd, 4th or 5th. Same for appearance and customer service. Have frequent sessions with the employees on what is expected of them. Address non-compliance immediately, rather than the end of a shift. It’s better to send them home on the spot to correct an issue before working with customers. If they don’t bother to return for the rest of their shift, they were going to cost you business that day anyway. I like team meetings, because everyone knows that every other employee is aware of what’s expected. Keep them short and focused. Too much at one time will have everyone mentally checking out.

Definitely have at least a 90 day probationary period. Don’t provide any perks until that is complete. Too many people these days expect something for nothing immediately, if not sooner. It’s up to you to retrain them in how the real world works (or is supposed to anyway). I don’t think it’s a bad thing to fire someone every once in a while, in a way that the remaining staff knows what happened and why. Dismissing a poor employee that way will send a clear message.

Make sure you spend time with each employee on their assigned shift. Not just observing them, but working with them and talking to them. It will make you aware of any potential issues much more quickly. It also lets the employee know that you’re aware and focused on their work. Mirror to them how you expect them to treat your customers. They should treat you, each other and the customers in the same manner. That way they don’t have to change gears when going from one to the other. Employees tend to work much better when they know the boss is tuned in and willing to make an effort. Also, take time to interview prospective employees even when you’re at full staff. That lets everyone know that you can easily replace them from a pool. Never let an employee think that you need them more than they need the job.

Having good employees requires having a good management team. There should always be at least one person on shift who’s in charge and has full authority, to include sending someone home if they have a bad attitude or aren’t performing as expected. You have to back that person’s decisions publicly, even if you correct them in private. Make sure they understand that their authority is there in case of an exigent circumstance, rather than for their amusement and self esteem. A good shift manager understands that authority is best used sparingly.

Entire books have been written on this subject and it’s a good idea to read some of the well regarded ones. Too many little details to list in a single forum thread. Good luck!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll suggest having more of a presence in your store than just logging onto the video system and seeing the employees wearing non-approved clothes. If you can't be at your own business enough to weed that out in person, then you won't ever have any control over your business.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you get what you pay for. my wife has worked at the same cell phone store for 9 years with a base of $12 + commission, she makes $50,000 + a year, every year. if you want good people you have to pay for it.

i on the other hand did 27 years of bust my azz in all kinds of weather with sickness or even injuries for little reward and no recognition from the companies i worked for, now i work when i want too, go home when i feel like it and if you can get someone that can do what i do to replace me go ahead.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll suggest having more of a presence in your store than just logging onto the video system and seeing the employees wearing non-approved clothes. If you can't be at your own business enough to weed that out in person, then you won't ever have any control over your business.

They both work at the main store Monday through Friday from 9AM till 7PM or later... they put in more hours each than any employee they've ever had. I was pointing out only the weekend factor to show that employees try to get away with things when the bosses aren't there.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They both work at the main store Monday through Friday from 9AM till 7PM or later... they put in more hours each than any employee they've ever had. I was pointing out only the weekend factor to show that employees try to get away with things when the bosses aren't there.

So the bosses need to show up on weekends sounds like to me. At least frequently enough to keep the employees guessing. I hear you about them putting in long hours during the week but owning a business is hard.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can so relate to this thread. After 21.5 years in the Marine Corps I now own my own business. People are my number one issue. I have had more happen to me in past 3.5 years then a total career in the Corps.

I feel for them, I really do... their business is suffering horribly from lack of continuity, poor customer care, in-house theft, and they're working themselves to death trying to keep up with it all, all while being KILLED by the tax burden the .gov puts on small businesses.

I kid you not I worked 79 hours this past week. It is one of the downfalls of small business ownership. Oh and last year I paid over 40% in personal taxes.

are ya'll's experiences, and what methods have you found for weeding out the bad eggs and finding and keeping good help? I realize this is all a symptom of the attitudes of apathy, entitlement and greed so pervasive in our society, but I'm seriously in despair... and so are they. Is there NO WAY to find good workers these days????
Here is what I have to offer:
1) I recently tried using snagajob.com and a few have been some of the best hires I have had in a very long time.
2) Deterrent system (cameras) are a must. I can't tell you how many times they have saved me. I use it to train, corrective action and to terminate.
3) Documentation on a regular basis. I have had some employees do some of the stupidest stuff that my grandfather would have beat me over. When counseled I can honestly say 1/3 of the time they have no idea their actions are unacceptable. It's like I am their boss and parent. Short story - Two weeks ago I had one of my mid-level leaders call 30 minutes before her shift and said she couldn't come in because her dog had a swollen eye and she had to take it to the vet. I calmly said "let's talk about this". "Most people with bills and a job they want to keep would drop the dog off at the vet before their shift and pick the dog up after work". "What are you going to do?" She was like wow, I never thought of that.
4) Highest level must show caring attitude. I work in my store from writing paychecks to taking out trash. My people know what I do in my store. Not saying your parents are guilty but I know of other businesses that are limping along and IMHO it's because the people know/see that the top dog only cares about the profits. A place that has no vision or guidance will fail.
5) Training is continuous. I have been told by many people that I have some of the best looking employees in the area. It's hard to determine how a person will perform from two 15 minute interviews. So we try and ingrain our mannerisms on day one of employment. If they don't/can't conform within a few shifts we let them go. Just like road kill they don't get better with time. Failure to follow simple instructions is a huge indicator of trainability.
6) Retention! I am embarrassed to say but I have had periods of almost 80% turnover. With 72 employees that means a lot of work for yours truly. However, sometimes it is necessary and can truly create a better work place when you come out of the aftermath. Good employees attract good employees.

I agree that paying better would get them a better quality of employee, or at least a chance at it... but there is no way.
Sucks... I hate this crap. People are scum, just scum.

I tried the better pay route. It didn't work at all.

Hire a former Marine to clean out the trash and whip everyone into shape...

My military hires haven't been any better. 2 Marines, 1 Navy and 2 Army.

**Disclaimer** I type this with one eye open and ask that the grammar gods cut me some slack and ask for forgiveness if I rambled incoherently above.

primeoflife321

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 30 years of being self-employed, I can offer this to fellow small business owners:

You will never be more than a (hopefully) well paid babysitter. End of story.

RR

(my newest company has ZERO employees... I just couldn't take the BS any more)

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the same in every business. Even in mine, I have the same problem; well paid legal assistants and even lawyers, who always SEEM to have legitimate excuses as to why they have to be absent from work.

I have a large plaintiffs' law practice, but I often wish it was just me and an associate lawyer (associate means junior in legalese) and a couple of assistants.

I really hate having employees.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I quit my last pt job because of people like that. I was tired of getting screwed because of their mistakes. Depending upon where your parents store is hit me up cuz i could you use a pt job and i love technology almost as much as weapons. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom