Recommend me 7.62 X 39 mm ammo. What's your experience??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Golden Tiger is my favorite... I could consistently hit man-sized targets with it out to 400 yards with my WASR, from prone with a sling. I found it to be a little more accurate than Wolf.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used Tula, Wolf Polyformance, Silver Bear and Remington, all of which the AK ate, and it really didnt care what was what. They aren't picky (unless of course you have my luck...) and just love to eat ammo.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1) Russian steel cased, lacquered coated
2) Russian steel cased, polymer coated
3) Russian steel cased, zink coated
4) Yes Russian steel cased polymer coated
5) Hornady, American, never used it. That brand is good and expensive and not for plinking. Havent seen it but would assume that it was brass cased

1-4 Are pretty much the same thing other than the coatings . The laquer coated have a tendancy of sticking in American weapons chambers.
Thats why they started making polymer and zink coatings. To help Mini 30s 14s and ARs

I have used all of them and still have a little of all em to boot. AKs love any of them. American weapons may or may not be finiky

#5 Hornady is russian steel cases loaded by Hornady

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting read Been. I wouldnt let the mix in calibers scare you off from the brand or Russian ammo in general. Long as the right cal goes in the right weapon the stuff goes boom every time and isnt to bad. But as normal always inspect every round. I was once shooting either winchester or remington 7.62x39 and it had a split case. Factory new. They all make mistakes.

I would almost bet like one of the other comments that sombody at the store was looking at ammo and mixed em up. If not that is very rare.

Give the russian ammo another chance. The AK weapons were designed to use it and it is very affordable

I shoot wolf, golden tiger, and silver bear all the time. My AK will eat anything.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
have shot it all, used to love the chinese surplus, but those days are gone. Now whatever cheapest works for me. Buy in bulk, an AK should shoot it all about the same.

**on a side note, lots of folks love the brass yugo as quality ammo...corrosive, but it all used to be anyway. the new russian stuff is not.

This. My AK isn't picky, so whatever is the cheapest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom