Recommendations for 24x30/40 Shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pole barn can have concrete floors, however, they build the barn by putting posts in the ground. Raw wood touching raw dirt. Then they fill in with rock and concrete after building. At least, that's how the discount guys do in my neck of the woods. Unless you have a slab poured, then have the pole barn guys build on top, your barn won't last super long before you have to start replacing posts. 15-ish years, depending on drainage.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Our poles on our pole barn went into the ground 4', then they built the rest of the structure. Concrete was poured and poured in the 4' hole around the wood, like piers, so I'm not sure I have any dirt touching any wood anywhere, except for the bottom of the piece of 2"x6" around the concrete.flooring.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A non pole barn is built using a perimeter foundation that goes to a solid depth, then is completed with a slab. the lasting way to do it, they way they build houses, is to pour the foundation and slab, then build on top of the foundation.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our poles on our pole barn went into the ground 4', then they built the rest of the structure. Concrete was poured and poured in the 4' hole around the wood, like piers, so I'm not sure I have any dirt touching any wood anywhere, except for the bottom of the piece of 2"x6" around the concrete.flooring.
Are the poles that are sunk 4’ deep not made of wood?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine was built on a slab. It's a welded metal building. Every connection is welded with a tab and self drilling self tapping screws with straps to back that up. It's overbuilt.
What sold me on the guy that put mine up is that I was told by the biggest garage door installer in town (that is a friend of mine) my builder was the only contractors buildings that after a year or so of installing the garage doors he didn't have to go back out and make adjustments because the buildings of other contractors would shift.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the poles that are sunk 4’ deep not made of wood?
There is a company that uses concrete pillars in the ground, with brackets set in the top of the pillars on which to attach the uprights.
The vertical 'poles' are actually 3 - 2x6 boards bolted together.

No wood touches the ground, with the exception of the treated 'rat boards' that go around the bottom.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that’s what we’re talking about with a pole barn, it’s under the slab and subject to water and freeze thaw cycles.

I sort of get what you're saying, but the concrete around the pillars, was poured at the same time as the slab, so really they're one piece, no water can get to the wood inside concrete, I think?

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sort of get what you're saying, but the concrete around the pillars, was poured at the same time as the slab, so really they're one piece, no water can get to the wood inside concrete, I think?
It’s better than just driving a post in the bare ground and throwing a couple bags of sakrete in it, for sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom