Recommendations for a 1.5 inch belt for holster use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwmckie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I are getting our gear together for training, and I was wondering about belts. It was suggested that we get at least an 1.5 inch belt, one that would be able to handle a holster. Since this is probably not going to be at Walmart, could you good folks recommend belts that will hold up to holster training (both mens and womens). And do these belts have a specific name, like duty belt or tactical belt? Thanks for the help!

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-COBRA&cat=18

Been wearing one of these for a year and half to work, 6 days a week. I carry pliers and a cell phone clip but still haven't had any problems. And the cobra buckle is nice for when I have to take a piss, in a hurry. Also wear it when I carry concealed or open when I'm training. It's stiff and supports weight well.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two Looper leather belts (one black, one brown) that I wear almost all the time, even on the rare occasions I am not carrying a pistol. They are stiff enough to support a holster and extra mags for training or IDPA shooting, and look nice enough to wear with good jeans or business attire. I have had the brown one for over two years now and it still looks great.

I also have a Nylon/Kydex 5.11 belt that is adequate, and I use mainly for summer time with cargo shorts or when I don't want to wear a leather belt. I had a 5.11 kydex with a plastic/faux leather coating. It looked nice at first, but the plastic pealed off after a few weeks, exposing the white kydex underneath, so I would stay away from those.

If you are interested in checking them out or trying them on, Medlock's in Collinsville carries Looper belts and holsters. I got my 5.11 belt at OPS in Tulsa and they had a pretty decent selection of styles and sizes.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Trainer belt from 5.11 tactical gets my nod. I think the 1.75" Operator belt is better, but I still wear the Trainer a lot of times. It is reasonably priced on Amazon.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've use a Looper and a 5.11, both leather with kydex insert. They are both good. The Looper is really well made, but the finish was terrible, just running it through the belt loops on my jeans scraped the black finish off. Not a problem for concealed carry though. The 5.11 has been my main belt for 4-5 years. It's starting to show a lot of wear, but it still works. Got it a OPS in Tulsa.

Latest posts

Top Bottom