The Great CQB Lie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also am a filthy civilian, so I know nothing, and of course, this is all for fun. But, in the western half of the state, especially towards the panhandle, you can undoubtedly see 500 yards at any time and it feels closer than I'd ever want to see another human with a rifle wishing to do me harm. Here's a photo for context... That clearing in the picture starts at 200 yards and then where the bushes pick back up is about 350. It's just over 600 yards to the nearest road in that direction and I know the cars I have seen in that direction sure look close.

If there was cover and hills every 50-100 yards, then fine, get closer or get out of there, but in reality, we live in Oklahoma so it's flat as hell and there's a tree every once in a while.

I might not be shooting at extended distances because it's hard to judge intent, but I definitely want to know what is going on over there and it is not at all out of the realm of possibility in this theoretical situation.

View attachment 327456

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm Korean War Vet. In Vietnam a PMC. I was trained in all forms of battle readiness by the military and never looked back. I still train in CQB and long range shooting even at 85 years. I live in Idaho and I do a lot shooting from five yards out to 1000 yards. I have to admit that in a running gun battle I would be useless beyond 100 yards because of my age but otherwise I still train. Training is the key. A friend of mine and I are going out to the foothills tomorrow to shoot our 10/22's out to 300 yards unless it is too windy then we will be concentrating on shooting our 1911's more. Only advice I can give is train, train, train. Be prepared for anything at anytime anywhere

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a fat man, I really shouldn't voice my opinion on this topic. I'm built for comfort, not speed.

The only real advice I can give is if you feel you need to do CQB training, by all means have at it.

However, how many of you "operators" have jobs and how many of your supervisors let you carry your AR, AR pistol, SBR, whatever to work daily?

An armed encounter is a come as you are event. The weapon you should train and train and train with the most, is the one you carry on your person every, single day.

Learning to run that carbine at it's optimal level is great, but that sidearm is the one that is gonna be with you when the shitstorm starts until you can get to that carbine.

Just ramblings of a fat old man. Take it for what it's worth.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
What's the premise of your post? Are you asking? Or telling?

This has been discussed and rediscussed and rediscussed-discussed in several past threads, yet here we are again.
Come on man , if we only discussed things we have not already beat to smithereens we would all be sitting around drowning out the crazy voices in our head with booze !! So lets beat that horse and spew opinions and argue over every last detail...... Its fun man and it saves gun money wasted on booze!! :cool:

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Come on man , if we only discussed things we have not already beat to smithereens we would all be sitting around drowning out the crazy voices in our head with booze !! So lets beat that horse and spew opinions and argue over every last detail...... Its fun man and it saves gun money wasted on booze!! :cool:
I deduced he was telling. I try to keep it equal parts guns and beer/booze.

Latest posts

Top Bottom