Recommendations for WiFi Security Cam System with no subscription

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

I know some of you are dead set against WiFi enabled security systems, and I get it. No need to rehash all that; what I’d like are recommendations for a WiFi security system with the following requirements and conditions:

1) I’ll use windows overlooking the outdoor areas I want under surveillance, so I can use indoor cams to save money
2) Plug-in for AC power (no batteries that require regular charging or replacement)
3) NO use of Alexa, Google Assistant, or Siri to control the cameras
4) Ability to record incidents to DVR via WiFi and access recordings via phone
5) Distances up to 50 feet
6) As mentioned, no subscription needed at all

My budget will be up to $500-750, and I’d like four cameras. It seems most such systems work best with Alexa, GA, or Siri. After a particularly nasty exchange with Google customer service over their insistence I upload a copy of my DL to use their Nest cam recording ability, I want to avoid such “services” as far as I can. I was looking at Eufy, but they do mention using Alexa or Siri to control the cameras :puke:

Any suggestions?

HKP7M13

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks,

I know some of you are dead set against WiFi enabled security systems, and I get it. No need to rehash all that; what I’d like are recommendations for a WiFi security system with the following requirements and conditions:

1) I’ll use windows overlooking the outdoor areas I want under surveillance, so I can use indoor cams to save money
2) Plug-in for AC power (no batteries that require regular charging or replacement)

My budget will be up to $500-750, and I’d like four cameras. It seems most such systems work best with Alexa, GA, or Siri. After a particularly nasty exchange with Google customer service over their insistence I upload a copy of my DL to use their Nest cam recording ability, I want to avoid such “services” as far as I can. I was looking at Eufy, but they do mention using Alexa or Siri to control the cameras :puke:

Any suggestions?
Folks,

Any suggestions?
For info on camera systems try going to ipcamtalk.com and read the wiki at the top of the page. They do not promote wifi cams much but do have a lot of info and reviews on a lot of security cams, nvrs and software for surveillance use. The wiki will also tell you about camera placement and some limitations on resolution and field of view. Everything has trade offs. Even the box store cheepo kits will tell you that there was movement around your truck last night but good luck having any usable images of the perps. A lot of the home do it your self kits like you mentioned want that recurring revenue from subscriptions and add ons. The more capable the system means more $ out of your pocket.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many systems like you describe on Amazon. I currently have 3 systems on my property. A 4 camera system on my house, a 4 camera system inside my shop, and a 6 camera system in various other places. They are all wireless. The first two 4 cam systems send video directly to a dedicated receiver/DVR. You can put a monitor and mouse on the DVR to view recorded video. If you want to view your system via your phone or other mobile device you have to install an app and create an account to remote view your cams. They do not require any subscription or ongoing fees. Nor do they require anything to do with Google, Alexa, or any third party of any kind. One thing you need to know. You cannot use indoor cameras looking outward through windows at night. When they switch to IR for night use you will get nothing but a glare off the glass and see nothing outside. The 6 camera system are direct IP cameras that do not connect to a DVR. I use the app that the vendor says to use to view the cameras with my phone or tablet. It does have a record feature but is a little more clumsy to use. This systems uses pan and tilt cams so I can scan about the property to check areas to watch wildlife or sunsets/rises or whatever else amuses me. You can continue to add as many cameras as I want to this system until you overload the bandwidth of your router. These cameras can also be used via wifi or ethernet cable.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wyze
can buy direct or on amazon.

no subscription unless you want. i have had for 4 years indoor and outdoor, same camera for what I use.
each camera is like $32 or something now. (wyze camv3) (mini SD card in each also needed if you want continuous view with out subscription)
not sure about the "motion detection" if you are projecting through a window? maybe that isnt what you are doing but don't think that works as well with projecting through a window, but dont know.
depends perhaps what you want, but I like them. if you want a subscription, use with alexa, google, you can, but not needed. I do not.

there are many out there.
- but wyze work well for me.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
wyze
can buy direct or on amazon.

no subscription unless you want. i have had for 4 years indoor and outdoor, same camera for what I use.
each camera is like $32 or something now. (wyze camv3) (mini SD card in each also needed if you want continuous view with out subscription)
not sure about the "motion detection" if you are projecting through a window? maybe that isnt what you are doing but don't think that works as well with projecting through a window, but dont know.
depends perhaps what you want, but I like them. if you want a subscription, use with alexa, google, you can, but not needed. I do not.

there are many out there.
- but wyze work well for me.
This! Works well for me too.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lorex is what we use. There’s no service, none of the BS, no fee’s. We use PoE true 4K cameras with a DVR linked to our modem. We have access to motion alerts and all the good stuff in the app and desktop software. They offer WiFi cameras. Jump on their site and take a look. Night time looks like day with the true 4K nocturnal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom