Recommendations for WiFi Security Cam System with no subscription

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Dennis, either I'm dense or things don't work for new members or don't work the same on a Mac. When I hover on the icon there is no dropdown but all I see is:

Gift, Follow, or Ignore

If I click on the icon it takes me to a page, again with no dropdown, only options are:

Ignore Find Add Feedback

Latest activity Postings About Shared bookmarks Feedback Stats

When I hover over your icon, this is what I see.

IMG_2493.jpeg

The opportunity to post a private message is there. If you’re still not seeing it, contact a mod. I’m not sure about a Mac though. Don’t have any experience with that platform.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use blink and Simplisafe. Been using the blinks for years besides home security I use them for on demand monitoring of goats that are going to have babies in the barn. Saves me from running to the barn for a check every 30 minutes

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you are saying but when I go into the profile I don't have the "send private message" option. Everything else looks the same but that option is missing. Guessing it's because I am new.

Blackbirdpilot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built a pc based system running Blue Iris software on a dedicated pc. It is extremely flexible and has a LOT of features most of which I don't even use. One benefit is that I can use almost any brand of IP/wifi cam with it.
I currently have Hikvision, Reolink, Amcrest, some stuff from Nellys etc.
All of my cameras are hardwired except for one wifi camera from Reolink. Due to location I needed wireless. Its probably 100ft away from my router and the connection is rock solid.
I liked that camera well enough that just bought my mom a Reolink NVR/camera package and it was super simple to set up and use. They have wired and wireless systems. The wired systems come with cable and can power the cameras via POE (power over ethernet) but you can also connect wifi cameras to them. When I was testing the system out before giving it to my mom it automagically found my existing wireless Reolink cam.

If you want an extremely flexible system with an insane amount of features and dont mind having a dedicated pc for it Blue Iris is excellent and cheap for what you get.
If you want super easy, less features but prob still everything you would want/need check out Reolink packages on Amazon.

ScottsLife

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I built a pc based system running Blue Iris software on a dedicated pc. It is extremely flexible and has a LOT of features most of which I don't even use. One benefit is that I can use almost any brand of IP/wifi cam with it.
I currently have Hikvision, Reolink, Amcrest, some stuff from Nellys etc.
All of my cameras are hardwired except for one wifi camera from Reolink. Due to location I needed wireless. Its probably 100ft away from my router and the connection is rock solid.
I liked that camera well enough that just bought my mom a Reolink NVR/camera package and it was super simple to set up and use. They have wired and wireless systems. The wired systems come with cable and can power the cameras via POE (power over ethernet) but you can also connect wifi cameras to them. When I was testing the system out before giving it to my mom it automagically found my existing wireless Reolink cam.

If you want an extremely flexible system with an insane amount of features and dont mind having a dedicated pc for it Blue Iris is excellent and cheap for what you get.
If you want super easy, less features but prob still everything you would want/need check out Reolink packages on Amazon.
You know I spoke with Russ IT Guy a day ago and he also suggested the Reolink camera for my situation where the distance is far from my cabin. I was reading online that they don't always work well with Verizon for some reason however.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For years I used a couple of the Arlo Go cameras paired with my Verizon account. They became unreliable and Arlo customer service lacked service as well as Verizon since they made only $5/month off of the cameras. So I trashed the cameras and went with Tactacam cell cameras.......much more reliable now.

Blackbirdpilot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know I spoke with Russ IT Guy a day ago and he also suggested the Reolink camera for my situation where the distance is far from my cabin. I was reading online that they don't always work well with Verizon for some reason however.

He is probably talking about a Reolink Go.
I actually forgot that I have one of those at my land that is 9hrs away.
I was able to get it to work with Mint Mobile when I was configuring it here but at the land Mint doesnt have service. I did also try to use one of Verizons budget brands (Visible I think) and it wouldnt let me set it up. I think TMobile is the provider of choice for those but again they dont have service at my land as far as I know. I need to look at that. Ive had the thing mounted to a tree for a couple years and got maybe 1 image from it.
This is the reolink system I was referring to in the previous post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom