Red Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't seem to leave this gun alone. Thoughts on the red barrel?

I plan on adding a red mag release, anodized red charging handle, and red safety switch.
IMG_3779.JPG
IMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3784.JPG
IMG_3785.JPG

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like it, it's different. What did you do the colorfill with? I have used Testor model paint, but with the plastic receiver I wasn't sure how that would work, as I use turpentine to clean it up. Is the barrel anodized or Cerakote or Duracoat or what? Also what handguard is that? My son wants me to have his 15-22 Cerakoted, but I think if I'ma do that, I want to make all the changes I am going to make first.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The colorful was done with a white crayon, believe it or not. If you chop a piece of crayon into very small pieces, and take a couple pieces at a time, and melt them with a lighter, then take your finger or Q-tip and press the melted white wax into the recessed lettering, it will dry and harden into the lettering. It dries in seconds, obviously. The, take a Q-tip or clean rag and wipe it with some pressure, and the excess just falls away. Then, if you feel like changing colors later, or removing it altogether, just heat it up, take a wet rag, and it wipes right out easily.

As far as the paint on the barrel, I did a lot of reading on this to see if I needed to use a certain kind of paint. And I consulted a buddy of mine that is a gunsmith. Many gun companies do NOT use heat-treated or heat-tolerant paint when painting barrels. So, I used a rattle can, but I did use a heat-tolerant paint. I don't know if I'll keep it on there or not. I did some shooting today and it held up pretty good. I lightly sanded the barrel with 200 grit and put 2 coats of primer on it before I painted it.

The hand guard is surprisingly just an eBay 12" hand guard. Here is the listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gen-3-12-ML...794551?hash=item4d44fb30f7:g:SkcAAOSwNsdXTi2X. I got the 12", but I'm kinda wishing I would have bought the 15". It is a solid hand guard. I really like it. Or, the stock hand guard is really easy to paint, as you can see below...I painted mine.

I hope that helps. You may want to look into gun skins for your son's 15-22: https://www.gunskins.com/products/ar-15-rifle-skin?variant=7844663235 — I'm considering getting a gun skin at some point. Maybe.

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3543.JPG

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally understand. I just like having things that no one else has.

Personalize it all you want. Do it up in Muddy Girl camo. It's your gun. Some people will like the way it looks, some won't, but as long as you do, oh well.

I'm thinking I want to get into Cerakoting so I can do some different stuff with mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom