Red River Showdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree with this statement. A winning tradition creates a huge fan base. Alabama, Ohio State, Texas just to name a few has a huge fan base like OU of fans that have no ties to the actual university.

OU has 7 National Championships,
7 Heisman winners
14 Big 12 Championships
50 Overall Conference Championships
82 All Americans
377 players drafted to the NFL
plus numerous other player awards.

This is what gets fans in addition to the fans that are directly involved in the school.

Now I’m saying anything negative about OSU. They have their traditions and have had a winning season for many years. But they cannot compare to what the University of Oklahoma has done. MHO
I agree with a lot of this and it is true with most things in life. Something is really good or successful people want to flock to it to be "a part of the success". Not just related to football. That being said, the success also attracts a lot of the undesireables, knuckleheads, dipchits and others, along with the true, pure football fans that aren't tied to the school in any way. Which is fine. But with that comes a lot of azzhattery that non-fans don't care for and will jump at the chance to mock when said successful program faulters. Maybe OU fans need thicker skin?

For myself, I find it sorta like Alabama. Hugely successful the past couple decades. But when Alabama Football is playing i know of exactly zero people that route for them. And i'd venture a guess that only half of Alabama residents route for them to win while the other half of Alabama residents are routing for Auburn, or any other school that plays against 'bama.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of this and it is true with most things in life. Something is really good or successful people want to flock to it to be "a part of the success". Not just related to football. That being said, the success also attracts a lot of the undesireables, knuckleheads, dipchits and others, along with the true, pure football fans that aren't tied to the school in any way. Which is fine. But with that comes a lot of azzhattery that non-fans don't care for and will jump at the chance to mock when said successful program faulters. Maybe OU fans need thicker skin?

For myself, I find it sorta like Alabama. Hugely successful the past couple decades. But when Alabama Football is playing i know of exactly zero people that route for them. And i'd venture a guess that only half of Alabama residents route for them to win while the other half of Alabama residents are routing for Auburn, or any other school that plays against 'bama.
Completely agree. I don’t understand why people think this is unique to the OU/OSU fans. I guarantee-damn-tee if go to any college fan base you will see the same stuff going on. “Bama fans suck”. “Michigan fans are the worst”. This is not unique to OU fans.

It is what it is when it comes to this season. I’ll still be pulling for em each game. They will find a way to turn it around and get back on track.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What they have done won’t get them anything this year. Part of the problem with OU is they are told every year how great they are based on the past. The fans are quick to point out how great they have been. Maybe expectations on what they really have to work with this year might cause them to improve to what they can become the rest of the season. In August some fans were predicting a National Championship. Not sure how they could possibly imagine that for this year.

OU has a tradition of consistently winning, more so than 99% of the other programs for the last 20 years. OU fans have no control on where the press, polls, and in the past.... computers.... ranked them.

Who was honestly calling for an NC lol? Where do you boys get this stuff? I didn't see anyone on this board say anything of the like?

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who was honestly calling for an NC lol? Where do you boys get this stuff? I didn't see anyone on this board say anything of the like?
I saw a fan in the first game hold up their index finger. It looked like a lot of people around her agreed with her enthusiasm. Therefore, most fans were predicting a national championship. Simple.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OU has a tradition of consistently winning, more so than 99% of the other programs for the last 20 years. OU fans have no control on where the press, polls, and in the past.... computers.... ranked them.

99% you say? Show us those numbers. THere are appox 130 FBS schools and from the data i saw OU is ranked about 5th in most successful FBS programs the last 10 years. You open that up to FCS schools and OU ranking would drop like a rock. No doubt OU Football has a strong history but not what you claim.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
99% you say? Show us those numbers. THere are appox 130 FBS schools and from the data i saw OU is ranked about 5th in most successful FBS programs the last 10 years. You open that up to FCS schools and OU ranking would drop like a rock. No doubt OU Football has a strong history but not what you claim.

Century...

https://www.on3.com/news/winningest-and-losingest-power-5-programs-this-century-past-decade/
20 years

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-Buckeyes-LSU-Oklahoma-145304632/#145304632_8
(these numbers were collected in 2020)

18 10+ win seasons 2000-2021

Need me to post more or do you get the picture? :D

Awwww heck... here's one more...
https://stormininnorman.com/2022/08...oners-lead-nation-in-power-5-wins-since-2000/

Last edited:

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice parameters on some of those. Not do FBS and then all collegiate programs and see what happens. Still good but not as peachy.

Maybe, OU has become the USC after Carroll left for the NFL?

Latest posts

Top Bottom