Red River Showdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm…… Not true!

Yeah, it is true. 100% true.

I don’t know a single hard core uo fan that cheers for ut, ever. For Christ’s sake, one of their fan symbols is an upside down ut symbol. They flash it at every game, for every sport, if they’re playing ut or not. They put it on clothing and vehicles, and I know one goon that has it tattooed on his leg. An upside down longhorn has become synonymous with uo.

If you are a hard core fan of uo, you want ut to lose every single game. It’s no different with oSu and uo. A state border doesn’t change any of that.

Now if you’re a casual fan, it’s a completely different deal. Causal fans are good. But the word “fan” derives from fanatic. if you’ve got a closet full of uo gear, tags and flags on your car, and you’re buying sooner onesies for your infant children and grandchildren and your Autumn Mondays are predicated on how the Sooners did on Saturday, then you want oSu to lose every single game they play.

Maybe you ain’t that guy, but there’s a **** ton of that guy out there.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here the deal, if you’re a die hard fan of either school and you tell me you cheered for the other one when they weren’t playing your school, you’re not a die hard fan, or you don’t understand how college football used to work.

Nah, this is BS. When I was on campus we spent time in Stillwater and friends spent time in Norman. Still have some of those friends to this day. I mean I didn't loose any sleep when they lost to Baylor last year, but I was sure as hell pulling for them over Baylor, as I would have done the same if they'd played anyone else. I find that those that never stepped foot on campus for academic reasons have this philosophy. I know you said you went there, but that's just what I've experienced. Now Texas is a different story.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t thing anyone expected it to be a total rebuild, and I am still ecstatic about the Venable and his staff (wasn’t excited about Cale Gundy’s BS). Recruiting class is solid (For now) but if he takes more beatings like that recruiting will take a dive. And to answer you question it is a suprise to most that they have come unwound from a 3 and 0 to team batting 500. And though I am pleased with the culture upgrade, it is about winning….. afterall thats why they get paid the big bucks. If they can’t win they will be replaced.

As I said in another post or thread, I really think OU is much better than they are playing the last three games. Not sure what their deal is but not living up to their full potential.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe revolting over the Gundy thing?
2D7846F1-FA74-420D-972F-5BD9AB52DA8C.jpeg

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s because the vast majority of their fans are front running MF’ers. Present company seems to be excluded. Most of these guys here seem stable enough.

Most of them have 1 tie to the school; the football team. They don’t love the university. They love the football team because they win, most of the time. When they lose, the walmart hats get burned. I actually saw that last night on a video. Crying, by grown men, and burning fan gear. When sports is your one and only tie to a school, that’s what happens. It is what it is.

I’m not busting anyone’s chops here. It’s just a fact. I don’t personally know anyone that attended the school in Norman that is a jerk about the football program. Not one. I don’t know that many of them though. Maybe a couple three. The vast majority of uo fans I’ve ever met have never stepped foot on campus, and those that have went for a sporting event. The reason for that is a history of winning National Championships. It’s as simple as that.

I’m an oSu fan. Have been all my life. My big brother & sister went to school there, lived on campus, and got degrees. I lived with my sister and her husband for a time in married student housing after my dad died. I was 9. I got my degree there. I have lifelong friends from the places I lived and people I hung out with. A large amount of my friends came from my years in college. I’m an oSu sports fan because of that. It sure as **** ain’t because our football team was a national powerhouse. I truly don’t know a single oSu sports fan that didn’t go to school there. I can tell you this, 0-10-1 don’t get you a lot of front running fans. It is what it is. With the recent success, we will probably pick up some bandwagon fans, and they’re welcome aboard. The more the merrier.

I’m not saying one is better than the other as far as fans, I’m saying the fan bases are different, and they always will be. You might say we don’t get that upset about losing cause we’ve got a **** ton of experience at it. Still hurts, but I don’t know anyone that’s burned a hat.
From my perspective, being from CA but attending and getting my degree from OSU, I have always seen it as jsut this, what Jakeman stated here. In the beginning when I first got to OSU I thought it was interesting that everyone I knew who was an OSU fan either was attending OSU, was an alumn, had a kid at school in Stillwaster or had a very close connection to OSU. You would rarely, if ever, find a die hard OSU fan that had no tight connection to the school. On the flip side, every Tom, Dick or Harry that had didn't even have 6 degrees of separation from OU was an OU football fanatic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom