Reloaded Ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was something on the books or anything about using reloaded ammo for self defense in Oklahoma ? I seen posted on other forums where they say don't use reloaded and I just reread a book that said the same. I am not into reloading but maybe some day I might.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a magazine writer named Mas Ayoob (sic?). He says not to because in court the prosecutor can claim you were trying to make "man killer" bullets. Then it takes alot of money to defend your making those loads. Then there are others that say it doesn't matter because cases in court like this are so rare there aren't any. Then there are the internet repeaters that have only read stuff on the internet and repeat it to others without any first hand knowledge (just like I did).

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Said writer's name is Massad Ayoob.

For what it's worth, I without any qualms will use reloaded ammo for self defense. I can't see how a prosecutor could get you for using mankiller bullets when major ammo companies market ammunition for self defense. Furthermore, if you're in a lethal force/self defense situation, the whole idea is to kill your assailant so it would seem to me that a mankiller bullet would be appropriate.

What you should not do is reload ammunition with illegal bullets. That means you must not reload handgun ammunition with armor piercing bullets.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Said writer's name is Massad Ayoob.

For what it's worth, I without any qualms will use reloaded ammo for self defense. I can't see how a prosecutor could get you for using mankiller bullets when major ammo companies market ammunition for self defense. Furthermore, if you're in a lethal force/self defense situation, the whole idea is to kill your assailant so it would seem to me that a mankiller bullet would be appropriate.

What you should not do is reload ammunition with illegal bullets. That means you must not reload handgun ammunition with armor piercing bullets.

This should be to stop the threat. Just saying.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. There us no OK law on ammo used for self defense other than the use of prohibited bullets, as listed in the SDA.
2. The use of "custom made ammunition" or reloads in a homicide raise certain issues that are heavily dependent on the individual states' laws and the specifics of the case. Ayoob's main cautionary points, as I understood him, involve lack of standard ammunition for ballistics testing and crime scene reconstruction (if it somes to that), plus the potential additional liability exposure in a civil lawsuit, where the rules are different than a criminal case.
Considering the extremes, if you clearly were not justified to shoot, you are in trouble regardless. On the other hand, if it is clearly found to be unquestionably justified, bringing a civil suit in OK is very difficult, and the details aren't going to be examined in court.
However, if it is a questionable shoot and you do wind up in civil court, expect the opposition lawyer to put EVERYING under a microscope and use all of it to characterize you as a maniac who used a modified gun and super deadly custom bullets to gratify your slavering desire to kill somebody, anybody.
There could be an advantage to saying you used a stock gun and factory ammunition, like the police use, to stop him attacking you.
Suggest you read Ayoob's book, which has some of his cases where he was an expert witness .

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question and topic. Probably get more discussion in the legal and 2A forum.

As usual, it boils down to the old adage that anything can be argued in the courtroom. I think it could also be argued that if someone took the time and care to ensure their carry rounds were handloaded to accurate and reliable standards, that they were well attuned to providing for their defense. In some cases where a person might create a special load to ensure bystanders were less endangered or home defense situation where they wanted to create a load that might not be as likely to go through multiple walls, they could be commended and once again prove their desire only to defend themselves.

If it all fails, just carry a cap and ball pistol... let them pull their hair out with that one. :)

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This should be to stop the threat. Just saying.

Your goal is indeed to stop the threat and if you by chance are able to stop the threat without killing the assailant that is what you should do. If you are shooting in self defense, however, your goal is to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible which means you'll be shooting to kill. If the assailant is too disabled to continue the attack, it wasn't my intention to imply that one should then go ahead and kill said assailant.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't reload and most who do are reloading because they shoot a lot and/or for accuracy. I'd say use store bought ammo for SD and avoid the whole can of worms and keep on reloading your range ammo.

For as little as you shoot SD might as well spend a few extra bucks on commercially available stuff rather than spend thousands explaining to a jury of your peers why you chose to reload. I personally would have a REAL hard time understanding why anyone would reload SD ammo other than to make it hotter than what they could commercially buy. Does this mean you were trying harder to kill someone? Not necessarily, but I wouldn't want it to even be a point of discussion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom