Reloading 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oksportsman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have reloaded my hunting cartridges for years to achieve optimum accuracy. With the recent ammo shortages, I am going to reload for my AR now. What is your brand and powder of choice and what grain level is your favorite for reloading 55 grain bullets?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Varget. One could have a bucket of it beside the loader, and just dip the brass into it.
Full load of Varget is full to the top of the case. It does shoot well though.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use w748 for my .223. It meters like a dream. Varget is also a good choice. I don't shoot any 55 gr bullets So I will refrain from charge weight advice. Mostly 50 gn nosler bt and 60 gn partitions. Several guys I know are having awesome results with Hogdon cfe-223 also.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for the Varget. As was mentioned, a good load for it is up to the base of the neck in .223 (about 25 gr). Makes it pretty tough to make a mistake like a double charge.

I like the 'bucket o' Varget' idea.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 for the Varget. As was mentioned, a good load for it is up to the base of the neck in .223 (about 25 gr). Makes it pretty tough to make a mistake like a double charge.

I like the 'bucket o' Varget' idea.

+1000 on the Varget. I load 55gn at 24.8 grains, but have also shot them at 28 grains. 24.8 is what my AR likes.

I also use for .308 and .243 exclusively. Its great in .308 with 165/168 SGK loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom