Reloading and Glock KKM .40 barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so .40 reloads wont fit into the chamber of a .40 KKM glock barrel. Is this just an issue with lead, or will a plated bullet suffer the same problem? If its all reloads, I guess I need to send the barrel back to KKM and have them open it up a little.

This is once fired, but the GB has been removed by a full pass through die.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By any chance... Did you use a LEE factory crimp die?

Nope. G-Rx full pass through on a single stage press, then loaded with dillon carbides.

Been reading online, and it says that the KKM .40 barrel is very tight and often need reaming to allow for reloaded ammo. :/

The bullet I was using is a 180gr j&k. I assume these are .401" which should be no different than a jacketed, however I still see that "coke bottle" effect like you see with 147 9mm lead.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. G-Rx full pass through on a single stage press, then loaded with dillon carbides.

Been reading online, and it says that the KKM .40 barrel is very tight and often need reaming to allow for reloaded ammo. :/

The bullet I was using is a 180gr j&k. I assume these are .401" which should be no different than a jacketed, however I still see that "coke bottle" effect like you see with 147 9mm lead.

Sounds like you got it covered. I'd assume the barrel too. prolly wont fix the issue but might try the factory crimp die if you have one available to you. If it won't go in after that I'd be sending the barrel out.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got a reply from KKM. (damn theyre fast)

They say:
KKM said:
Any brass that has been used in a FACTORY GLOCK BARREL can not be used. It can not be sized at the base to fit a standard chamber. A FL sizing dies does not resize the base

So, Im going to find some brass thats been through the KKM and reload to recheck. If it still doesnt work, Im going to send it back for reaming.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not buying that "if it's been used in a Glock it can not be sized at the base" stuff.

Thats the purpose of the G-RX die. It's supposed to eliminate that problem.

Get a case size gauge and check your rounds. If they fit the gauge, they should fit the chamber.

Mike B

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what the G-RX die is,but i use the EGW U die from Lee.
It takes the bulge out of glock brass.I've loaded alot of glock brass
never had one not chamber check.I also use a Redding competition
seating die.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what the G-RX die is,but i use the EGW U die from Lee.
It takes the bulge out of glock brass.I've loaded alot of glock brass
never had one not chamber check.I also use a Redding competition
seating die.

Are you using a KKM barrel? The rounds chamber check correctly in a Glock factory barrel. G-Rx is a full pass through die specifically made to remove the glock bulge.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm running a KKM barrel in my Glock 35. Never a problem with any of my reloads running. Some of my brass has certainly been fired in a stock Glock chamber. I use Dillon dies on a Dillon 550B. I do not use any special dies, because I haven't needed to.

My KKM is a drop-in spec barrel; any chance the one you have a gunsmith fit one?

Latest posts

Top Bottom