Reloads in a glock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impalaSS

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a glock 27 two years ago with no intention of reloading again. Then late last year got back into reloading. Now the problem. i have been reading all kinds of horror stories online about reloading for glocks. I understand the problem and dont push my reloads anywhere near the limit. But i am going to get an aftermarket barrel anyway because i would like to shoot lead and for saftey. I would like some input on people that shoot alot of reloads through their glocks. Some feedback on barrels options lake city, lone wolf and bar sto. I am leaning towards barsto.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all jokes aside, you will have a problem with unjacketed lead ammo. If you shoot jacketed bullets, you will be fine. If you want to shoot unjacked bullets, then I recommend a lone wolf barrel. They make good products but the can be jack holes.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all jokes aside, you will have a problem with unjacketed lead ammo. If you shoot jacketed bullets, you will be fine. If you want to shoot unjacked bullets, then I recommend a lone wolf barrel. They make good products but the can be jack holes.

what problem will you have with lead bullets?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glock kB! FAQ v1.35
Examining the catastrophic failures in a popular pistol
Catastrophic Glock Failure

1. What is a kB!?
2. What causes a kB!?
3. Which Glock models are affected?
4. Why does a kB! occur in these Glock models?
5. Do kB!s occur in other guns or just Glocks?
6. What is the relationship between reloads and kB!s?
7. What can I do to prevent a kB!?
8. If I insist on reloading for my .40-something Glock anyway, what can I do to minimize the chance of a kB!?
----------------------

6. What is the relationship between reloads and kB!s?
Most kB!s occur with commercially remanufactured or personally reloaded ammunition.

Blown and deformed .45 ACP cases
Successive re-sizing and firing of a case result in eventual weakening of the brass, increasing the probability of case failure. The partially unsupported chamber in the Glock exacerbates this problem.

"Hard crimping" or overseating of bullets, particularly in the .40 S&W, can cause dramatic increases in pressure almost to the same degree as a propellant overcharge. [See Annotation #3] Either alone or in combination with a weakened case, these factors can result in a kB!

Some people have also postulated a relationship between the use of cast lead bullets and kB!, arguing that buildup of lead in the chamber can lead to pressure buildups as well. The jury seems to be out on this one as a direct causation, but lead build-up will sometimes cause a round to not fully chamber, and as Glocks can discharge with the action not completely locked up ("out of battery," [see Annotation #4]), this can lead to a catastrophic failure.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html#what

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the issues is that reloads are supposed to void Glock's warranty. Many shooters get after market barrels to avoid this issue. However, in the case of Lone Wolf barrels, if you read the disclaimer on their website, shooting reloads in their barrels voids their warranty.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
to get you an answer...the polgonal sp? rifling is supposed to lead really bad, causing higher pressures and eventually a KB. Some say this is bs, others will confirm. I use an after market barrel with standard rifling and have no trouble at all. I have used barsto..like them alot, but lone wolf, lake city, and the occasional unFU'd up federal all work just fine for me, and are cheaper than the barsto.

As far as most gun warranties are voided if using reloads, so no surprise there.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
forgot to add, that last time I checked for plated or jacketed .40 bullets, Tjconevera.com had some for a fair price and ships free if order is over $45, $5 if under. If you do decide to go with lead, then board sponsor J&K has a primo product and is local.

using plated or jacketed solves all the problems.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a glock 30 and I've been reloading lead roundnose for about a year.
I bought a Storm Lake barrel to use with bare lead.

I've started using these Hornady bullets and they don't leave near as much lead in the barrel.
I even went back to using the stock Glock barrel with them and they leave hardly any deposits.
These are just for target practice and they work really well.
The only brass problems I've seen are vertical cracks starting at the mouth; nothing around the head.

Latest posts

Top Bottom