Remember Toxic Masculinity?---Dad Teaches Trans Son to Shave in Heartwarming New Gillette Ad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Language has more influence on thought than any other factor. Dumbing down the language makes the users dumber.

When someone says the word “woman” and the listener has to ask “what do you mean by that word?” we’ve lost something important.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Language has more influence on thought than any other factor. Dumbing down the language makes the users dumber.

When someone says the word “woman” and the listener has to ask “what do you mean by that word?” we’ve lost something important.

it also evolves. Both by adding words and modifying them (and their meanings).

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are a master of evasion. I’m going to let this lie.

i'm honestly not trying to be evasive. I just don't buy that the language is in danger. It might be changing, it might be hard to keep up with, it might even be offensive. But all are things that have happened before and will happen again.

The words we use will always change. Sadly, though, i think the dumbing down is occurring for other reasons and not because of social change.

Last edited:

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i never said it was an apples to apples. I was talking about people being resistant to change and viewing things (shows, commercials, etc) as threats to our society. He thinks this will emasculate our society by normalizing it. As i (perhaps poorly) tried to indicate, that argument has been used time and again against a number of things that we consider fine today. This wont be our downfall.

And i don't think i indicated he was homophobic or transphobic. i was simply pointing out that there were likely gay and others in front of the DI before all of this. These aren't 'new' issues. They are just more public.

How to phrase this.....

There are big differences between oppressive societies that criminalize, investigate, arrest and punish those who engage in homosexuality, a society where private behavior is tolerated, and a society that appears to be obsessed with exposing its citizens to every aspect of this atypical personal lifestyle, on ever possible occasion, that it can.

Our culture has gone from serious, industrious, reserved and polite to gonzo, anything goes, screw the establishment, hate the rich, white, males, police, heritage, and our Flag, since I was born in 1947. To me, it is as if the NY Towers are slowly falling down again, and nobody cares!

Several weeks ago I was waiting for a Chest X-ray at the VA Hospital. After I sat down, I looked up and there was a Transexual waiting for an X-ray, too. He (I said he because I’m not going to play this game) asked if I was okay. I said yes, politely. He was nice enough ..... but I admit, this stuff hits a nerve in me.

Now, I’m married to an Oklahoma, Part-Choctaw, Ex-Navy Corpswave, and Retired RN. She saw him first. Her first words to me were, “Isn’t he sweet?” She doesn’t care for this stuff, either. And just because some people are saying, “We MUST BE INCLUSIVE, TOLERANT,UNDERSTANDING.”, and whatever else they can suggest to insure that their master plan to disrupt, corrupt and undermine our society stays on schedule.....

Two old men (+90 y.o.), WWII Vets were siting down the isle. They kept looking at him, shaking their heads and liking back at the floor. I could plainly see that this stuff hits a nerve in them, either. I also wonder what these men thought about what our County has come to after their ordeals, sacrifices, and the price paid by those that never got home..... I wonder if they think it was all worth it.

A society and a nation has a right to expect dignified behavior, a certain decorum and propriety, a sense of loyalty, attitude of respect for fellow citizens and patriotic reverence for Flag, President and Country. When I see someone that flagrantly indulges his bizarre fantasies instead of seeking professional help, I am convinced that he doesn’t care enough or consider anything other than his own selfish feeling and wants.

No, I don’t believe we’re going to be able to muster sufficient forces consisting of the tough, unselfish and patriotic stuff that I’m sure we are going to be needing in the future. It’s a coming boys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How to phrase this.....

There are big differences between oppressive societies that criminalize, investigate, arrest and punish those who engage in homosexuality, a society where private behavior is tolerated, and a society that appears to be obsessed with exposing its citizens to every aspect of this atypical personal lifestyle, on ever possible occasion, that it can.

Our culture has gone from serious, industrious, reserved and polite to gonzo, anything goes, screw the establishment, hate the rich, white, males, police, heritage, and our Flag, since I was born in 1947. To me, it is as if the NY Towers are slowly falling down again, and nobody cares!

Several weeks ago I was waiting for a Chest X-ray at the VA Hospital. After I sat down, I looked up and there was a Transexual waiting for an X-ray, too. He (I said he because I’m not going to play this game) asked if I was okay. I said yes, politely. He was nice enough ..... but I admit, this stuff hits a nerve in me.

Now, I’m married to an Oklahoma, Part-Choctaw, Ex-Navy Corpswave, and Retired RN. She saw him first. Her first words to me were, “Isn’t he sweet?” She doesn’t care for this stuff, either. And just because some people are saying, “We MUST BE INCLUSIVE, TOLERANT,UNDERSTANDING.”, and whatever else they can suggest to insure that their master plan to disrupt, corrupt and undermine our society stays on schedule.....

Two old men (+90 y.o.), WWII Vets were siting down the isle. They kept looking at him, shaking their heads and liking back at the floor. I could plainly see that this stuff hits a nerve in them, either. I also wonder what these men thought about what our County has come to after their ordeals, sacrifices, and the price paid by those that never got home..... I wonder if they think it was all worth it.

A society and a nation has a right to expect dignified behavior, a certain decorum and propriety, a sense of loyalty, attitude of respect for fellow citizens and patriotic reverence for Flag, President and Country. When I see someone that flagrantly indulges his bizarre fantasies instead of seeking professional help, I am convinced that he doesn’t care enough or consider anything other than his own selfish feeling and wants.

No, I don’t believe we’re going to be able to muster sufficient forces consisting of the tough, unselfish and patriotic stuff that I’m sure we are going to be needing in the future. It’s a coming boys!

Thank you for the longer explanation. I still disagree that there is some master plan to destroy our nation, though.

And how it makes you feel is valid, but i give it the same weight as how i do how it might make the other people in your story or that i would to transgender or gay military veterans.

As to society's behavior, well i think there are many things that come into play and i'm also thankful that it's not up to any of us to determine what is and isn't allowed.

I have no problem with people who express the types of feelings you do, just to be clear. But i don't like when folks try to codify such things and use the power of government to enforce it (which i am not accusing you of, merely clarifying)

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i'm honestly not trying to be evasive. I just don't buy that the language is in danger. It might be changing, it might be hard to keep up with, it might even be offensive. But all are things that have happened before and will happen again.

The words we use will always change. Sadly, though, i think the dumbing down is occurring for other reasons and not because of social change.

Yes. Our language is in danger. If you read excerpts from our Colonial Period, Revolutionary and Civil War, even the less educated spoke and wrote with superior expression and form. It’s fading away for cheap, street punk.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As has been shared in these forums frequently by members shaking their heads at people exercising their rights to arms in foolish ways, here’s my response to those who embrace their desire to be a different gender than that determined by their biological sex, especially to the point of mutilating their body…

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

I’ll defend your right to do it, but man (woman?) you look stupid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom