Remington .22 550 value pack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow i have the opposite problemn. my 10/22 will run remington all day, but prolly 5-10% of the federals i had were duds.

Same here. Federal bulk had FTF very often in my buckmark and not very accurate in my 15-22. Switched to RemGB. No malfunctions in either (1000 rounds), accuracy improvement in both. Federal Match works best in my buckmark, and CCI Varmit in my 15-22. I think each gun is different, but still could be ammo production (QA) issues by lots.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own 2 Ruger 10/22s that I use as trainer rifles for Appleseed marksmanship clinics. I have put countless 550 round cases of Remington Golden Bullets through them myself, and so have the students, with no problems. It is not at all rare to go through an entire case with no ammo-related failures whatsoever. The only time it will jam is when the rifle or the magazines get dirty from thousands of rounds fired between cleanings.

I have tried Federal Bulk Pack ammo, and it is worthless in these rifles. it seemed like every 4th or 5th round it would jam a case sideways in the action, just like clockwork.

Guys, it is no secret that rimfire guns can be very picky on what type of ammo they like, especially between the cheaper types like Remington and Federal. Just because one gun doesn't work well with Remington doesn't mean its crap ammo... it just means YOUR gun doesn't like it.

10/22s generally like Remington but won't run on Federal. My friends' Marlins and CMMG AR conversions love Federal but won't run on Remington. Remington 597s seem pretty indifferent... they seem to more or less shoot whatever you throw at them.

In my experience teaching Appleseed clinics, if a rifle doesn't like Remington, it will like Federal, and vice versa. If it doesn't like the one, it will almost surely like the other. If you have a new rifle, before you buy a whole 550 round brick, buy smaller amounts of a couple types of ammo and see what works and what doesn't.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington Golden Bullets used to be one of the best values in bulk .22 ammo (in my opinion, 2nd to Winchester Dynapoints back when they were affordable).

They've started loosening up QC or something over the years, because the number of "good strikes on the rim" duds I've had lately has gone up with every box I've purchased.

I still like them over the Winchester 333 packs that Wal-Mart sells - I've had cases expand in those three different times to where I had to eject the spent casing with a cleaning rod it was so stuck in the chamber.

The Federals have always been under-powered in everything I've ever shot them in and will routinely fail to cycle a bolt or slide on a semi-auto.

The Winchester HV (grey-box at Wal-Mart) seems to be the best bulk .22 ammo for the money in my experience.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Remington Golden works very well in some of my guns and msierably in others - that is the norm for semi auto's chambered for 22 LR with the possible exception of the old Winchester Model 63 which eats about any HV ammo.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, interestingly, I recently bought a S&W 617 and haven't had any duds with any of the the Wally World bulk packs, Remington, Federal or Winchester. Probably put 150 rounds each through it.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, interestingly, I recently bought a S&W 617 and haven't had any duds with any of the the Wally World bulk packs, Remington, Federal or Winchester. Probably put 150 rounds each through it.

That's the gun I use to re-fire the dudes I've had.
Probably a third of them still won't fire.
But the little smith has woke up a good bunch of the FTF dudes I've had.
Might have to try a couple times though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom