Remington 700 5R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The general consensus is that you won't get that much more for your money. I'm not even sure if there's wide agreement that there is a measurable, repeatable difference between that and a normal 700.

They're great rifles, but they aren't necessarily the couple hundred dollars better they're priced over standard tactical 700's and Model 10's by Savage.

I was having this debate with myself the last few months and wound up settling on a Savage 10FP, which I actually just picked up over the weekend. I can get a mount and rings and a maybe even little bit of ammo for the difference between that and a 5R, so seemed like a good choice for my needs.

That said, the 5R is a good choice in really every way except value and availability, so if you want to plunk down for it I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would look at the FNH SPR line of rifles.They are a good buy for your money.They are good handling and very accurate. I have yet to read anyhting bad about them. Are you looking for a bench gun or a walk and shoot gun? The SPR line is also the bolt action that the FBI contract went to this last year.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you looking for a bench gun or a walk and shoot gun?

A little of both. I don't shoot competitively or anything, so it's not THAT important. I'm just a savvy shopper, and I wanna get the smallest groupings for my buck.

Thanks for the input.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you would like get a Rem 700 and try to shoot the barrel out of it then when or if you do shoot the barrel out get with Mike Rock and order you that 5R barrel blank, have gunsmith of your choice screw the new tube on for you OR you could just get a Savage rifle put a new stock on it and be a happy camper. I believe those 5R barrel blanks are in the $290 range then another probably $150-$200 to put it on and chamber it for you. Not sure what the cost of the 700 5R is but those Rock barrels are pretty good. Either way you go best of luck to ya! Later,

Kirk

SMF223

Marksman
Reaction score
I have the Remington 700 SP in 308cal. it shoots a 3/4min of angle out of the
box. I think the 700 is hard to beat for the money. But I spent more money on
my Leapold tactical scope than the rifle. A friend has a Savage heavy barreled rifle and its a matter of who is shooting the best that day on witch
rifle wins.
Stan

Latest posts

Top Bottom