Remington 870 rusting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to look at my shot gun today and noticed a rust spot on the receiver. This is an 870 that I haven't even owned a year and I bought brand new. Is this an issue I need to bring up with Remington or can I fix that spot easily? What can I do to Proventil this from happening again.

Here is a picture of the spot in question.

i229.photobucket.com_albums_ee16_gfercaks33_0619D754_3A53_4CBB38ef83dbbd634d662950bf69e2e3b61f.jpg

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess is 'thumb print'.

Not a Remington issue, it's a salt + moisture + metal issue.

fix it = steel wool and oil + clean gun before storage.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blood will get rust started on steel guns quickly. Easy to miss after a sweaty day of dove shooting.

+1 on the 4-0 steel wool and oil. "Going Easy" is the key. If persistant, consider cleaning it off with solvent, dry and put a drop of Jasco Metal Prep (Dilute Phosphoric acid solution) on it and leave it overnight. It'll react with the iron oxide and create a blackish spot that has a bit of corrosion protection.

If all else fails, blast it and Cerekote it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Getting overly aggressive with the steel wool WILL take the bluing off and leave bare metal. Use just enough pressure to buff the spot out. Wipe clean and oil.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like the newer 870s finish is easier to rust than others. I haven't had the issue but a couple friends have. The difference in my case is I have wiped mine down with a good oil. I made sure I could see a film of oil when wiping with a oiled rag. Then I switch rags and wipe excess off. I think they pretty much handle there guns and then lean em in the nook of the safe until next trip.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like the newer 870s finish is easier to rust than others. I haven't had the issue but a couple friends have. The difference in my case is I have wiped mine down with a good oil. I made sure I could see a film of oil when wiping with a oiled rag. Then I switch rags and wipe excess off. I think they pretty much handle there guns and then lean em in the nook of the safe until next trip.
The black oxide finish that Remington has used the last several years is flat black and nice appearing. It also seems to be fairly rust prone. Rub in oil onto it after after use.

The uglier Parkerized finish used on some of their police guns is ugly to the eye, but is notably more rust resistant. The electroless nickel that Remington uses on the marine service shotguns is also rather rust resistant.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paint it camo.

I have heard rust described as a custom non glare finish.

Try using a shop rag and oil first. It won't hurt the finish even if you get too rough with it.

Get an old sock and spray it with gun oil then tie it around the wrist of your shotgun. Every time you handle the gun wipe it down before you put it up. When I was quail hunting a lot I would keep an oily rag like that in my gun case. It was really good to do after wet or damp hunts.