Remington mdl 11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone really familiar with the Remington Model 11? I bought it thinking it was exactly like a Browning Auto 5. Now I know I thought wrong. It is very close to the same, but a few slight differences.

My question: On the Mdl. 11, does the carrier latch button have to be pushed to load shells into the magazine tube? The carrier won't raise to allow loading unless the button is pushed? If so, does that mean you can't load the magazine unless the bolt is closed?

If that is true, after the last shot is fired and the bolt locks back, you would have to either close the bolt to load again, or push the release button and let the bolt slam shut as you load the magazine again. Maybe mine needs a little qualified work?

What is the correct way to load and then reload a Model 11?

Yes, I know the magazine cutoff lever is on the Browning and not the Remington. That is no big deal.

Thanks,
Bob

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone really familiar with the Remington Model 11? I bought it thinking it was exactly like a Browning Auto 5. Now I know I thought wrong. It is very close to the same, but a few slight differences.

My question: On the Mdl. 11, does the carrier latch button have to be pushed to load shells into the magazine tube? The carrier won't raise to allow loading unless the button is pushed? If so, does that mean you can't load the magazine unless the bolt is closed?

If that is true, after the last shot is fired and the bolt locks back, you would have to either close the bolt to load again, or push the release button and let the bolt slam shut as you load the magazine again. Maybe mine needs a little qualified work?

What is the correct way to load and then reload a Model 11?

Yes, I know the magazine cutoff lever is on the Browning and not the Remington. That is no big deal.

Thanks,
Bob
Man, that's the coolest feature they have! But now I'm not sure, something doesn't sound kosher. I thought that was the only difference between the Browning and Remington. :scratch:

Now I'm curious.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The correct way to load a Rem. Mod. 11 when the bolt is OPEN is #1 ; engage the safety, #2 drop a round into the chamber, #3 close the bolt by pushing the shell latch button, #4 insert shells in to the magazine. Yes, on the model 11 you have to push the S.L. button to be able to put shells into the mag. To load when the bolt is CLOSED #1 push the S.L. button and load mag. as in directions above. #2 'Jack' the bolt, push the button again to load a round into the chamber. Should feed like any semi-auto S.G. until mag. is exhausted. Being a recoil operated S.G. the barrel must 'recoil' so that the barrel extension can 'trip' the feed latch. Made off the same patent, just not as slick as the A-5.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The correct way to load a Rem. Mod. 11 when the bolt is OPEN is #1 ; engage the safety, #2 drop a round into the chamber, #3 close the bolt by pushing the shell latch button, #4 insert shells in to the magazine. Yes, on the model 11 you have to push the S.L. button to be able to put shells into the mag. To load when the bolt is CLOSED #1 push the S.L. button and load mag. as in directions above. #2 'Jack' the bolt, push the button again to load a round into the chamber. Should feed like any semi-auto S.G. until mag. is exhausted. Being a recoil operated S.G. the barrel must 'recoil' so that the barrel extension can 'trip' the feed latch. Made off the same patent, just not as slick as the A-5.

What he said!!!!!

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shortgrass, Thanks, it's just a little different procedure to get used to, but guess that all makes sense. I'm just not used to dropping shells directly into the chamber on auto or pump. It's not tough on the extractor or anything?

Don't want to beat this to death, but do you let the bolt fly forward with the spring pressure, or control it with your thumb?

Shadowrider, it is a cool feature, but I don't remember ever using it.

Although I grew up using a Sweet 16 Browning, I haven't had a Browning for a while. The Remington is a little different, thus described, but also something about a fiber recoil buffer and one extractor instead of two?

Looks like a good old shotgun and cheap compared to a Browning Auto 5.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As this is, basicly, how the shotgun works , in the semi-auto mode, it won't hurt the extractor. Just push the shell latch button and let the bolt go 'home' on its' own , this will insure the bolt goes fully into 'battery'. Many of the parts for the A-5, and there are new ones available, will fit or can be fitted to the model 11, especially in 12 gauge. I picked up a 20 gauge several years back and needed a bronze friction piece, non available, only used and A-5 20 gauge won't work. As I keep bearing bronze in the shop (to make sleeve bearings out of) I just ended up making one. The friction ring for an A-5 in 12 gauge works just fine in a 12g. model 11. I have not worked on any model 11's in 16g. so I don't know about any parts interchangabilty there. I do know barrels , in any gauge, won't interchange from the A-5 to the model 11 or the other way, from mod.11 to A-5, either. The barrel extensions (the part that goes inside the receiver) are different. Well made, stout shotguns, just don't have the high finish and 'extras' the A-5 has. The design on the 11 is the same as the A-5, there again, it would be a try and see if they interchange (all A-5 extractors need to be fitted, they are not 'drop in'). As for the buffer, you'll find what's left of them in early guns. As long as you set the friction rings up correctly and are not shooting magnum shells you shouldn't have a problem. If your gun has a recoil spring (the big on one the magazine tube) that is made of coiled square stock I would change it out for a new one made of round stock, one for an A-5 would be just right, a $7.50/$10 part. Remember, the old std 12g. load is 3 1/4 dram equivalent, 1 1/8 shot, your shotgun my not cycle with a lesser load (like WM specials). (I don't understand this 'velocity thing' they put on the top of shot shell boxes these days!)

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shortgrass, thanks for your help. It is of benefit. As my experiences develop, I may have further questions. I'm supposed to have an operation manual coming from Remington. I'll be interesting to see what it has to say.
Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom