remote camping spots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the bartlesville area, and am looking for a good remote camping location. I want a spot where 4x4 would be needed(ive got a lifted cherokee) and i could fish, shoot, hike, explore, etc. I dont need water or bathrooms, maybe just a creek or stream. Does something like this even exsist in oklahoma or somewhere close??? Im trying to take the fiance on a fun trip. Thanks

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're right in the middle of wilderness areas----some in Arkansas and some in New Mexico.......

:thumbup3:

Well, some near the AR border in OK, too....not much around here

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you find one, let us know...Oklahoma seems to be lacking in that department, at least areas to do all that you describe legally.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try Honobia Creek or Three Rivers WMA's. It's definitely remote. Unless it rains, you probably won't need the 4x4 part of it. There are also places in the Ouachita National Forest that are remote. Again, neither of these places are going to require 4x4 unless it has been raining. If you go to Honobia or Three Rivers, you will need a land access permit from the ODWC ($40/annual). If you want more info, pm me and I'll pass along what I know.

toe

Reaction score
I live in the bartlesville area, and am looking for a good remote camping location. I want a spot where 4x4 would be needed (ive got a lifted cherokee) and i could fish, shoot, hike, explore, etc.

If you were to eliminate the bolded one, there are plenty of spots like that. The managers of public lands have been all but forced to disallow shooting on public lands, because the end result is always invariably the same: Slob shooters ruin it for everyone, because they leave their broken targets and shells on the ground, and/or are unsafe. So there's very good reason shooting is no longer allowed in public areas. They always end up becoming trashed eyesores. Always. People invariably actually bring appliances out to such places to shoot up and leave them there.

If we didn't have slob shooters and hunters, this wouldn't be the case. But I don't know how to eliminate them from the planet anytime soon.

Another reason, besides the trash issue, is that poachers abuse the privilege and hunt out of season. If the land managers/game wardens were to ignore shots heard, a LOT of poaching would go on undetected - that is to say, a lot MORE than already goes on.

If you want to shoot, of necessity, you need to buy or get permission for private land, or join a range with a burm (berm?).

David Warner

New to the site!
Reaction score
Majestic mountains, white-water rivers, crystal-clear lakes, and awe-inspiring canyons and valleys abound in Idaho, and a camper can find a remote site beside a pristine landscape or a spot in a well-kept urban park to pitch a tent or park an RV. Idaho is a state made for camping; it has not only beautiful locations but also pleasant weather with cool nights and warm days in summer, and a "pack it in, pack it out" policy that keeps its remote campsites clean.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Three Rivers and Honobia. Absolutely beautiful hills and streams. Ifyou have never been there, you won't believe it is Oklahoma. Pine forests with miles and miles of logging roads. I camp down on the Glover River often. Quite remote, lots of wildlife. Be sure and take a GP and have your land pass. It is, to me, the most beautiful place in the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom