Residential Heat and Air question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are modern Central Heat and Air systems significantly more efficient compared to a system installed in the late 90s? WOuld I see a drop in energy cost to justify the cost of a new system?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We just upgraded from an 80's system, and it certainly helped. Probably be a 6-8 year payout as we went high end.

I'm betting some of the more experienced AC folks will be online to offer a more professional opinion.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That all depends on the quality and efficiency of your old system vs the new. HVAC systems are built to live for about 20 years. mid 90s is certainly coming up on that. There are many older systems- 30+ that are still going, and they can work just fine if they are regularly maintained, but they are not built for that.

it also depends on the type of system you have, a heat pump uses the AC unit in reverse to create heat rather than an electric strip heater or gas furnace. The heat pump is very efficient, but when it gets real cold, the auxiliary heater comes on (electric strip)

The first thing you should consider are drafts. replacing door strips and sealing the windows can make a huge difference that a new HVAC won't fix.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Our current system is a conventional system, using natural gas for heat. We are getting new windows installed later this month or first bit of February.. they were ordered today.. we still have the original 1950 single pane windows...when the north winds blows our curtains move..I blew insulation in the attic about two years ago and that helped a bit.

Summer heat will give us about a 200.00 a month electric bill on a 900 sqft house...and we set it around 73 or 74.. so I imagine the new windows will be a huge help.

Last edited:

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first thing you should consider are drafts. replacing door strips and sealing the windows can make a huge difference that a new HVAC won't fix.

^^^^^This
And...depends, it will certainly be more comfy.....great money savings?
I havent seen it, in some cases yes, over a 20 yr old system...over all....it will be more comfy.... ;)

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
we replaced the whole system in our last house. It was built in the '80's and made a big difference in utility bills. The ducts were in the floor and sand was blowing in from foundation.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I replaced a 1970's furnace and mid 80's a/c in my last house with a 80% furnace 16 seer a/c. It paid for itself in 2yrs. Bills went from the 400.00's to 75 a month. I also added insulation repaired drafts but the majority of savings was in the hvac system. Buy as high efficiency system as you can afford to if your gonna be in the house awhile. I think you can get 90% furnaces now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have gas heat, you might consider a dual fuel heat pump. We had ours install back in 96 and really like it. Putting in new double pane windows really made a big difference.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have gas heat, you might consider a dual fuel heat pump. We had ours install back in 96 and really like it. Putting in new double pane windows really made a big difference.

This^^ I got new windows from Thermal Windows of OK and that made a huge difference. New AC about 6 years ago and I noticed some difference but the windows really made a lot of improvement.

Latest posts

Top Bottom