Retriever Dog Training Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone into training retrievers for duck/upland hunting? If so do you force fetch or not?

I've been working with my lab and we're at that point. My friend didn't force fetch his dog and says it's not necessary unless I'm running trials/tests, which I'm not.

Just want some opinions on it. Also I'd like to see who on here is into retriever training that wouldn't mind me bugging them with a few questions.

I've checked out some of the retriever forums but they seem to be mostly into trials, and not to be rude but, a little snooty. I'd like to hear from a regular joe like me training his buddy in his spare time.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of force fetching, and avoid it if at all possible. I am sure that it has a place with certain dogs, but I have never had a dog that I felt like that was the only method I had to train that dog to get it to do what I wanted. I don't run field trials with my dogs, they just hunt. I think it has a lot to do with the dog, what kind of disposition they have, on whether or not to force fetch. I loooooooove a pup that is just a bundle of energy. I don't care if it wants to run around like a wild indian all day, that is perfectly fine with me. You can always take a little out of a dog, but you can never put it in. A dog with more get up and go in her is going to be more successful with force fetch, and a lot of other training methods, than a softer dog. You just have to be pretty careful with a softer dog, one mishap, and you can spend many hours trying to correct your own mistake.

Bottom line, I didn't force fetch my dogs and they are excellent dogs in the field, not a single complaint... other than one has real bad gas in the blind. You do not HAVE to force fetch a dog to have an obedient, well trained companion. My dog is my best friend in the world, any time you want to talk dogs hit me up. I am certainly no professional trainer, but I have some experience.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read a book when I was 15 "retreiver training: a back to basics approach". I had a young black lab that I wanted to train. I read half the book and that dog 7 years later still remembers everything. Everyday after school I'd work with him. Now he's pretty old and his hips are giving way so he's just a one limit dog now. He'll retrieve one limit then he's done. Gives me the go to hell look or the sad dog look when we shoot the seventh duck. I recommend that book. If a 15 year old can do it, surely somebody with more brains could too.

beer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started him on the Tom Dokken book and have been using it as my main source of information. I also have the Farmer/Aycock dvd. I really like the Dokken book but both go into force fetch and build off of it.

I know Wildrose Kennels does not force fetch or use E-collars in their training, just like in England. They have a DVD out but I haven't seen it.

I'm a police K-9 trainer and have trained dogs for over 12 years. This is just all new to me though. I found my pup and selection tested him like I would one of our service dogs. Basically looking for strong drive and good temperament. He's 14 months and has great hunt and prey drive making him very easy to train thus far. I just need to figure out the best way to proceed from here. I really like to bring in as much info and technique as I can find for my training "tool box". I appreciate the input so far and r00s7a I will probably be pm'ing you soon if you don't mind.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love to talk dogs man, any time.

If you do choose to use an ecollar, you must be very careful, and very fair in use of it. You have to know the dog very well and be able to read if their reaction. I would not recommend it for a lot of dogs OR TRAINERS! Doesn't sound like you are a novice, so you can be the judge of that. I used ecollar on one dog, and she responded very well to it. Another dog there was no need for it. She responded well to a voice command even if out of reach, an ecollar would have been too much and she probably would have just laid down on me and decided she was done.

Holler if you have questions. Like I said, I'm no pro, but I can pass on what I have been taught. I'd love to hear about ol dog. What's his name? And post a pic of him if you have one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom