Revolver or Semi Auto for non-shooters "House gun".

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He may need the extra rounds of a high cap auto if he can't hit anything from not practicing. At least he will have more chances.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has a GP100 on her side of the bed. Its an easy gun for her to shoot with 38+p. I had a S&W 686 that was also an easy shooter with 38+p.

JTA

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like the stainless revolver suggestion, and I think that either .357 or .38 Special would be fine. I would try to convince your friend to be more of a "gun person", and seek training plus practice as often as he can. The practice and competent instruction will serve him better than his actual choice of firearm.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some thoughts as to help ( maybe ) S&W Model 386 Revolver 7 round 357MAG ...S&W MODEL 627 - 8-SHOT, .357 MAGNUM. Or Taurus 617 7 round 357 or MODEL 608 .357 MAG. REVOLVER. Just food for thought. With 7 and 8 shots can't go wrong plus the more choices of sweet ballistic bliss to choose from.

Bigjoe.45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the 627 with its' 8 shot capacity, it may be a better compromise of both worlds. Many great points from the crew here. Best of all I called and told him several people recommended range time with different shooting options so we are going to take several from a K frame .38, 9mm, .357 sig and a .45 and he is buying the ammo!!! Thanks OSA.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was his reason for not wanting a shotgun?

My problem with the .357 is wall penetration and capacity. If you are in your own home, why handicap yourself with limited capacity? I think an AR makes a fine Home Defense weapon too. It's proven to perform well in drywall penetration tests (As in not penetrating past too many). And one can be had for about the same cost as a higher end semi-auto.

If it was strictly a revolver vs semi question, I would go semi. More capacity, faster reload, easier to set up with light/laser and typically cheaper ammo.

I always wanted to take someone to the range and show see what a virtual shout out would be like. Set the targets out to a good distance, see who gets a vital hit on their target first. If you could pick your location and your gun, who wouldn't want the place they are most familiar with and a carbine high cap semi auto rifle?

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the revolver as an initial weapon.

It sounds like you did school him on the fact that he and his wife need to practice with the weapon also though and try to do so often rather than just letting the pistol sit around.

Perhaps he'll catch the bug and then a semi would be a good option once he becomes proficient in it's use.

rickeyparker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wheel gun 357 only way to fly, 2 shots and its over, If not from the blast busting out the perps eardrums, Then the bullet gets em, There was a statistic years ago that said a person protecting themselves fired a average 1.8 shots, Either gun is good, I have a 1911 that I used to keep in the nightstand, But have gone to a 357 wheel gun.