RI: Self-checkout battle as retailers blast bill to restrict number of registers and discount for self-checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commandcomm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion grocery will go the way of the Kroger model in Oklahoma.

Kroger has a stocked warehouse. Customer makes and online order and items delivered within a day.

Once this model is perfected and prices are competitive with delivery, there is no longer much reason to go to the grocery store.

Last edited:

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion grocery will go the way of the Kroger model in Oklahoma.

Kroger has a stocked warehouse. Customer makes and online order and items delivered within a day.

Once this mode is perfected and prices are competitive with delivery, there is no longer much reason to go to the grocery store.
Ain't nobody but me or the wife picking the cuts of meat we eat. The day the grocery stores go to that nonsense will be the last time they ever sell meat to me.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't understand the logic behind not having employees to operate the check-out lanes, yet they have 50 pickers pushing their bins around the store to fill online orders often blocking the aisles in the process.

It actually makes them money.

No business is going to continue on a path unless it is proven to make them money.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already replied I think, but one thing I'll miss when this all goes "delivery only" is walking down the aisles with my grandkids and letting them pick something special. I enjoy giving them a treat and they get to spend time with paw paw on a mission, plus they get something they wouldn't otherwise get.

We'll be relegated to Cracker barrel. :(

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While many decry the use of the self-checkout system, it must be proving to be beneficial to the companies that use the system. What I am curious to see is whether they abandon the concept once they figure out that "self checkers" aren't "checking" every item in their basket. Someone using self checkout can lean over to appear to be using a scanner to "check" an item in the underside of the cart but may not actually be scanning the barcode.

Personally, we tend to use the self checkout stations and even step out of our way to show our receipt at the door if we have an item that isn't bagged.

Latest posts

Top Bottom