RI: Self-checkout battle as retailers blast bill to restrict number of registers and discount for self-checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer self-checkout and sacking my groceries how I want to.

The scan and go option at Sam's is awesome. I won't shop there without using it.

Self-checkout at Walmart is hit or miss depending on which lanes are "open". The smaller ones are pretty much useless and they should be limited in how many are in place. The number of the ones with more room for an actual cart of groceries should be doubled.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like self checkout. Limiting the number of self checkout registers is rather stupid. But the bill should have a 20 or 30% discount for using it. In fact, using self check should bring a 50% discount on all items.
Being the tight @ss I am, if a discount for self checkout is ever offered, I would definitely participate, but I seriously doubt it’s going to happen. At this point, the retailers have already figured out that enough people have been suckered into using it without a discount.
What I’m expecting is a surcharge for WMart pickup.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care about doing self-checkout it's the fact that the stores are taking jobs from people (in many cases senior citizens who, thanks to DC, need the money) by implementing self-checkout and pretty much making it the only option in some cases that I don't like. To make matters worse, they don't even give you a discount for performing the tasks they used to pay people to do.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To make matters worse, they don't even give you a discount for performing the tasks they used to pay people to do.

I have and will always be against them, discount or not.
I will not be party to putting folks out of work to pad out the corporate profit margins or save myself a couple of minutes.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe there's a Walmart in Dallas area where it's ALL self checkout and not 100% but thought they were going to a cashless system entirely(no cash at self checkout either). Absolutely no reason Walmart can't have backup cashiers who could be called up front to help but there's a software application that tells them when and how many cashiers to have on the line. Walmart is very prevalent in rural areas where a lot of folks are older and not into new technologies thus if 1 cashier there will ALWAYS be a long line.

Latest posts

Top Bottom