Riding lawnmower for a lawn on a hill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking into getting my first rider because the guy who mows my lawn is older and calling it quits. Lot is maybe just over half acre front and back but the back yard is mostly a hill ranging from mild to steep. My lawn guy had one of those riders you stand behind and he was able to drive it safely even on the steepest parts but complained a lot about uneven spots.

I have about decided I can't afford to buy a zero turn and am looking at getting something smaller that will store easy. So far I am leaning towards the cub cadet CC30H due to its size and cost. HOWEVER, since it is a smaller cutting deck than a larger tractor or zero turn, I am wondering how safe/well it will handle the steeper part of the hill (which leads down to a pond). If I had to guess, I'd say 20-30 degrees at its most steep which is along an iron fence line but the majority of the hill is probably more like 10-15 degrees. Like I said the other guy mowed the entire area without tipping over but I'm not sure how wide the deck was and the center of gravity of his rig. I just don't think it is near steep enough where any tractor would tip but I'm more concerned there about the ability to mow right.

Can anyone give me advice to lead me in the right direction? I really want to get something new for under 2 grand but I don't want to buy something that won't work for my situation. That cub cadet has hydrostatic tranny and mows in reverse so I figured that would be good additions for my application since I am not looking a zero turns.

Thanks!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Cub looks OK for 1/2 acre, personally I would buy a larger Cub with wider wheel spacing. I have an I 1046 Cub that has been excellent for around the house. Also have a 60" Hustler zero turn and can tell you zero turn mowers are not worth a darn on slopes.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Cub looks OK for 1/2 acre, personally I would buy a larger Cub with wider wheel spacing. I have an I 1046 Cub that has been excellent for around the house. Also have a 60" Hustler zero turn and can tell you zero turn mowers are not worth a darn on slopes.

Thanks for the reply...I have seen various brands & models of larger riders (42-46") that are in my price range. I know many of them have cheap reputations like Poulan or Huskee but there are some Cub Cadets in that mix. I was the assumption that the larger, heavier riders would we worse on hills...how would the 30" cub be handicapped on a grass hill as compared to a larger model/horse power rider? The mowing track would be parallel to the hill not up and down the hill FYI.

EDIT: I am pretty set on the hydrostatic trans; what about the
Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series 42 in. 18 HP Hydrostatic Riding Mower? One difference I see is the deck is shown with wheels so that might do better on uneven surfaces?

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Is it possible mow with the grade, and not across it the majority of the time? This is year 12 on my 50" cub zero turn, no issues. I've got about a 20y long area with a fair amount of grade, it handles it fine going across, but usually just mow up and down the slope.

Sorry I see where you said you'll be mowing parallel to the slope.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply...I have seen various brands & models of larger riders (42-46") that are in my price range. I know many of them have cheap reputations like Poulan or Huskee but there are some Cub Cadets in that mix. I was the assumption that the larger, heavier riders would we worse on hills...how would the 30" cub be handicapped on a grass hill as compared to a larger model/horse power rider? The mowing track would be parallel to the hill not up and down the hill FYI.

EDIT: I am pretty set on the hydrostatic trans; what about the
Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series 42 in. 18 HP Hydrostatic Riding Mower? One difference I see is the deck is shown with wheels so that might do better on uneven surfaces?

Center of gravity looks pretty high on that smaller rider, the XT1 looks good to me, the Kohler 7000 Series twins seem to be good engines. Kohler had a few issues with the Courage line a few years back that kinda gave them a bad name but so far the 7000 engines are holding up well. My i1046 has a Courage twin, bought new 9 years ago and have not had any problems with anything. I take that back, last summer the safety switch part of the PTO engagement switch went bad. I just bypassed it so the mower would start. If I ever sell it I will get a new switch.

The deck wheels do help on uneven ground, they are commonly referred to as anti scalp wheels. Only place I could see where one could get away without them is a perfectly flat lawn resembling a golf green. I mow 7 1/2 acres of old pasture turned into lawn, anti scalp wheels are a necessity.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well as far as I know, the XT1 42" DOES use the single piston Kohler Courage! The next step up is the XT1 46" that has the 22hp V-twin...maybe I should consider that? If I knew the 42" now came with something other than the Courage motor, that is the one I think is the best compromise for all my requirements.

Check out a Cub Cadet RZT-S model. 4 wheel steering. They're excellent mowers for mowing slopes.

Like that model with the steering wheel but still outta my price range for what I need. thanks for the suggestion.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have mowed many hills and the best way down a hill is straight down.
I still putt around on a 1981 Gambles.. Mine does not look that good.. Only had to replace 1 tire since new and that was last year.
Father-in -law rolled it over on himself mowing up a steep hill.
He had mowed that hill 100's of times and knew you go down not up or sideways.
I have pulled trailers and cars into the back yard with that green mower. Just need to get traction and it will pull.
I think the older stuff was built to last longer.

You can sometimes find some deals on older Dixon riders.

Can you use a push mower??

img0121.popscreencdn.com_180335941_murray_gambles_36quot_lawn_mower_garden_riding_tractor.jpg

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree, nix the thought of a zero turn with swivel front wheels for a slope unless you want every pass to be an adventure.

Have you talked with your lawn guy about purchasing his mower since he no longer needs it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom