Riots and Looting...the best way to get "Justice"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You advocated the deployment of the National Guard. Last time I checked, that is a military organization, therefore, martial.

Something like this, maybe?

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2010/05/chic-m03.html

The National Guard is both a State and Federal organization. It can be used by the state in times of state emergency and is under the control of the governor just like the State Police (fighting wild-fires comes to mind... are you saying that they declare Martial Law and suspend habeas corpus when they fight wild fires?)? Martial Law entails replacing the in-place government with a Military Ruler and suspending habeas corpus. Merely deploying the national guard does not constitute National Guard.

And it's not just a Democrat thing:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/14/first-national-guard-troops-arrive-at-texas-mexico-border/

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the uniform part. Police officers should do riot control, and many other non standard jobs in their patrol uniform with the riot gear worn over the patrol uniform. The SWAT/SOT or whatever we are calling them today do need different equipment to do the job. Over the past 10 or so years we have seen more and more police departments going to different camouflage patterns for some silly reasons. We also have patrol officers for departments that patrol in 5.11 pants and polo's that needs to stop. There was a time when police officers looked like police officers. Your average patrol officer should look like a police officer. TPD has allowed officers to go with "outer vests" instead of standard under the shirt/inner bullet resistant vests. The outer ones look a bit to militaristic.

I wonder if that's what goes through an officer's mind when he is struck by a projectile while wearing the protective vest. "Damn, I got hit because I looked too militaristic. If I had just worn my skivvy shirt this probably wouldn't have happened."

The "appearance" threshold you just used is the same illogic used by Clinton during the Asshalt Weapons ban. I didn't like it then and it doesn't fly now.

This ain't Mayberry anymore Barn. I wouldn't want someone to die just because I didn't like their attire.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You advocated the deployment of the National Guard. Last time I checked, that is a military organization, therefore, martial.

Something like this, maybe?

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2010/05/chic-m03.html

Lotsa people call for Martial Law....the Democrat from SC been hollering bout it all day.

You brought up Martial Law, I didnt. Just because the Natl Guard gets called up doesnt mean ya suspend law.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im of the opinion police shouldnt ever use or have military equipment. If we need riot control call up the Natl Guard. Some of the nonsense some cities employ should never be tolerated by citizens.

Theres no reason for city cops to be dressed in camo, wearing masks and flak jackets.

I seem to remember someone saying to the effect of, " weapons of war do not belong on the streets of America". Im starting to think he was just talking about us regular folks.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wonder if that's what goes through an officer's mind when he is struck by a projectile while wearing the protective vest. "Damn, I got hit because I looked too militaristic. If I had just worn my skivvy shirt this probably wouldn't have happened."

The "appearance" threshold you just used is the same illogic used by Clinton during the Asshalt Weapons ban. I didn't like it then and it doesn't fly now.

This ain't Mayberry anymore Barn. I wouldn't want someone to die just because I didn't like their attire.

So you are on a side. Just come out and say it. You think having a militaristic Police force is ok. Now make a real argument for it.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If we start talking about the abuse of authority by police this will get locked. Believe me, there are PLENTY of members here who would jump all over that conversation.

Ah, I understand now. I figured from what had already been posted that I was not over-stepping as I was discussing an event in very close proximity to me (Ferguson is closer to me than OKC I believe) and not bashing. I did not intend that to be a general comment about all police, specifically how this situation is being handled by those in charge. And I would add that it appears the State Police are handling it extremely well tonight. Reporters are tweeting that the police are advising people of their right to peaceful assembly.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I seem to remember someone saying to the effect of, " weapons of war do not belong on the streets of America". Im starting to think he was just talking about us regular folks.

Weapons of war dont belong on our streets. I gotta admit, when I seen that line of cops with ARs and the bone heads on the truck providing "cover", I was a little concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom