Roaring River Trout Fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah me too David. As soon as class lets up I'll be up on the weekends though. My wife and I don't have any friends here around Tulsa(and our neighbors barely count since we don't have kids), so we go home a fair bit when Friday night rolls around.

Kozmos, I can really relate to you and your grandfather fishing. My dad(who is actually my stepdad) taught me how to trout fish and it is really what tied us together. I owe him more for that than anything else I can think of, as trout fishing is truly my favorite sport.

When we first started out, we almost always fished in the park, just below the 1st bridge as you head up to the hatchery. He'd always limit out first(when 5 was the limit) but I wouldn't be too far behind him.

A year or two later we started the real fishing, down outside the main park below the stables. From then on it was real fishing, not cast and reel in like inside the park seems to be. We(I) actually had to learn to judge current conditions, depths of the pools, where the good rocks were, so on and so forth.

Dad's almost always ahead of me still, usually C&R'ing a few and still usually limits out before me, but if I spend a day fishing with him and don't limit out, I'm just as happy as if I get a full limit. We've seen more wildlife than most of the regular trout fishermen would even suspect to see around the park. We've waded hundreds of miles in that short stretch of river, when it's up or down, had the benefit of fishing fresh carved holes full of trout after floods and gone home empty handed a few times.

But we've never had a bad day yet!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kozmos,

you're right, that stinkin horn does blow mighty early in the morning....

JRSherman,

well....... why don't we get together one day for lunch after we get back from our fishing trip. Do you ever come to Vinita?

D&T

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandpa used to go there all the time.
He fished downstream. I was really young, and don't remember the area real well. He went alone and primative camped. My dad took me over there one time, and he really didn't want us there.
He had finished raising 4 boys and 4 girls, and wanted his time alone.
That place was his escape place. We never really bonded before he passed away.
The wife and I have been there a couple of times since on our weekend trips.
The "blue hole" where the stream comes up is pretty awesome with the pics of divers, etc.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David we'll have to figure out a time to get together. I'm through Vinita a fair bit on 44, but I've never stopped there. Usually when it's me and the missus we have the dogs too, so that's a no win situation hehe.

Dennis, I barely remember it as I was pretty small, but my Grandpa and I were at the very front edge of the hole when a few divers went down on an exploration of the spring. The report they did is where the sketch came from. I've always been scared of deep water, so I was pretty shocked later on to find out that that hole is over 200 feet deep! Now that I know a little about such things, it amazes me even more than it did then, as these guys did a technical dive in the late 80's without the newer diving equipment that is available now.

A lot of people don't know it as well, and it took a while before they figured it out, but brown trout made their way into the main pool through the spring system itself. For a long time when I was growing up they thought people were hauling them in and slipping them into the pool, but once they gated off the main water flow to where the trout couldn't easily get into the spring head, they kept track and found they were just getting there naturally.

That's gotta be one heck of a swim from somewhere!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay guys, we made it to Roaring River trout fishing and opening day had just over 2,000 fisherman on that skinny little river catching fish...

My wife and I caught and kept 8 and tossed back a dozen smaller fish. The 2 shown in the pictures weighed 30 oz. and 34 oz....

Pictures as promised -

This is Happy Baby, ready to go on his first trout fishing adventure...
ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_002.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_032.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_003.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_006.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_009.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_012.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_013.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_016.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_018.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_021.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_025.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_Trout_20Trip_202011_051.jpg

You guys that fish this place can see how low the water level is...

6,000 trout were released the day before opening day on March 1st.. People were standing elbow to elbow, literally and it was just a tad too crowded for us. We went to the back side of zone 3 and away from the major crowds...

Unless there is more water there next year, we will be looking for a new trout fishing spot next spring....

D&T

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David I just got home a little bit ago myself. Dad and I went today below the park and each caught our limit, although they were hangovers from last year as none have been released below the park yet.

I'd say you did well, those two in the picture are nice trout! As far as the water level, it was much much worse before the snowstorms and the recent rain we've got. When Dad and I went the last day of season last October, the water level was 8"-1' lower than it was there today. You could almost walk across the old dam there in your first water picture.

I'm glad you had a good time though! We about froze today, ice on the tips of our rods and icicles on the bluffs. What made it worse was we both got up to three, then dad let a few go until I got my 4th, and took almost an hour before he caught his 4th. It was worth it though, as it turned out to be the best fish of the day!

I'm probably going to try to make it back up one of the next two weekends(pretty sure I have school next weekend, but it'll be the opposite weekend of that), so I might give you a holler sometime!

RackStacker30

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great looking pics and sounds like you had a succesful trip. It looks like there is some awesome scenery up that way. I would like to go camping up that direction some day... Wish it was a little closer.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JRSherman,

glad to hear that you and your Dad limited out. Sounds like you guys had a good time there...

WOW! 8" to a foot lower than what it is now - you'd be able to wade accross a lot of places on that little river...

I kinda think I'm gonna stick to the bass, catfish and crappie that I'm use to. One day last April, my wife and I went out in our little 8 ft. Bass Hunter boats and caught 62 channel cat that we kept that weighed between 4 and 12 lbs. each and 22 bass that weighed between 3 and 7 lbs.. This is not to mention all the fish we threw back, plus several BIG drum that hauled our little boats all around the lake...

Holler when you get a chance....

D&T

Latest posts

Top Bottom