Rucksack--waist belt or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all! I have been doing copious amounts of research on what kind of pack I want to invest in to begin rucksack marching (enlisting in the Army as an 18X after I finish my bachelor's in a couple years). The big question I have is, does having a waist belt on a pack matter? Does it help distribute the load/easier on your body? Will a nylon belt suffice or should it be of the padded variety? As far as the weight goes, I figured I start out with 20lbs, and work my way up to 60-70lbs or so.

My common sense says that having a belt will help distribute the load. However many packs that people seem to be using (or claim to use) for rucksack marching have no waist belt! The most notable example I can find is from a company called GORUCK which both sells rucksacks and gear and organizes Special Forces-like events (long rucks for many hours, obstacles, etc etc.). All the rucksacks they sell are without a waist belt.

http://www.goruck.com/gr1-black-/p/GEAR-000066

Thanks!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience has been this. The belt helps control the pack while hiking/running obstacles. That's not to say it's neccessary. There are plenty of times I'll tie it off behind itself... just depends on how secure my pack needs to be.

The last thing I need, while hiking around, is my pack to roll on the body and pull me off balance.

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The waist belt if worn correctly will take the weight of the rucksack off the shoulders and put it on the hips. The weight on the hips is the preferred location for the weight. With it on the hips you have better control of the pack.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The most notable example I can find is from a company called GORUCK which both sells rucksacks and gear and organizes Special Forces-like events (long rucks for many hours, obstacles, etc etc.). All the rucksacks they sell are without a waist belt.

http://www.goruck.com/gr1-black-/p/GEAR-000066

Thanks!

Its done because you have to dump the ruck in a hurry. You don't have time to unbuckle a waist belt when both of your hands may be holding up some barbed wire, or one holding a weapon while the other hand is performing a task of some sort.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my pack more for camping, but have done some "running" in it. I normally carry 80+ lbs ( I like to eat!) in my opinion if under 30lbs you don't need a belt, for 80 lbs at lest for me I don't make it very far at all without a belt. A belt keeps the pack with you when you fall which is not real nice at times but in my opinion still worth it. I have no military experience so can't comment on that. The belt I have is padded and I like it and is easy to move out of the way if I don't want to use it.
I would say get a belt (padded if going to carry very much weight) at least the one I have can be removed easily, maybe that's something to consider?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, a well designed waist belt, correctly used, makes all the difference in the world. That includes fitting the pack correctly. If you run/jog with a pack, the weight will matter less than the bulkiness, and the way you load the pack.
My running/jogging pack is a USMC ILBE. I typically load it to about 45 lbs. I believe Arcteryx was involved in the design. My rucking pack is a first gen Kifaru Zulu. The belt is much thinner in the padding department, but the delta strap design makes it a non issue. It is every bit as comfortable as the ILBE. What is especially cool is that even fully loaded to around 50 lbs, i can shrug off the shoulder straps and the pack stays upright and balanced, supported only by the waist belt in conjunction with the delta straps and stays.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The packs on the goruck link you posted are more like light day packs, not rucks you'd live out of.

Waist belts are crucial equipment for long, heavy rucks...

Latest posts

Top Bottom