This morning at 2:25 am I was woken from a deep sleep and felt something was wrong.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recieved this email from my Cousin who lives in Osage county on SH-11 west of Pawhuska about 9 miles IIRC. I thought this was good stuff for this forum. Its a little long but a good read. Some of you may have heard about it on the news.

Begin email:
I'm sending this to fend off some phone calls and not tell the story over and over. To all my friends and family along with business acquaintences I hope that my experience might be helpful if ever found in my situation. It can happen to anyone.

This morning at 2:25 am I was woken from a deep sleep and felt something was wrong. A few minutes later heard somone knocking on my front door, which has happend before. For those that don't know me, I live 12 miles outside a very small town with no neighbors and located close to a highway. Most of the time someone's vehicle has broken down and I'm the only ranch house for miles. For some reason I had a bad feeling. I immediately got my shot gun from under the bed and loaded it. First point: I heavily oiled it and put it uncased under my bed gathering dust. The action and safety were very stiff and not normally functioning. I didn't turn on any lights to daylight myself and went to the front door. No one was there and proceeded walking around the house to the back door looking out all the windows on the way. When I got to the kitchen I could see my interior lights were on in my truck in the driveway. Second point: keys were in the truck, feed truck (with rifle in it), tractors...everything. I ran out the door and with gun drawn asking the person what the F they are doing. Third point: I didn't have a phone with me nor did I call 911 before I left the house. His response was that he was looking for my name??? He then began approaching me even though I had shouldered the shot gun and taken it off safety. I don't know why, but I moved towards him aggressively telling him I will blow him away in not a polite way. He put his hands up and I moved him towards the security light so I could see him and checked inside my truck with gun still shouldered. Fourth Point: after a few minutes, I marched him down the driveway and told him to hit the highway and don't look back or I would kill him. Never leave youself vulnerable by turning someone you just had a gun on loose in the dark. I came back in the house and decided to call the sherriff. Fifth Point: I had go get the phone book out and after not being able to find it quickly, finally decided to call 911. Have emergency contact numbers easily available. While describing the situation to the operator I could hear officers radioing in that the person was believed to be armed and to stay in the house. Within 2 minutes there were a dozen heaviliy armed OHP, police and deputies wearing flack gear at the door. Apparently this guy stole a van in Tulsa and started a high speed pursuit in Cleveland all the way to my house. Police did a “pit” maneuver and ran him through my fence and into the pasture. He got out and ran on foot, ran through the woods and found my house. I replaced my shot gun with a pistol. Sixth point: if you choose to carry a weapon, be sure you are extremely proficent with it in the dark and scared as hell. Words can't describe the emotions and thoughts going through your head. Important as well, be able to demonstrate to deputies and law enforcement that you know how to control your weapon. I was asked to put mine down and respectfully told him there's now way. There was a full blown man hunt with tracking dogs going on. Three hours later they still haven't found him and I just had to sit in a dark house (alone) not knowing if he was going to try and come back. The dogs lost him when he crossed the creek heading south. I was instructed that if anyone showed up and did not immediately identify themselves to do not hesitat not only to shoot, but use deadly force. At that point, I became not only even more scared but paranoid. As of 7 am, they still haven't found him. I didn’t know but they had set up road blocks and perimeters basically keeping him on the ranch. Everyone showed back up and began another search with dogs etc. and found some hair and ripped his coat jumping one of my fences. I had to go with the lead investigator to show them around so I got to see everything unfold. We were waiting on the helicopter when he was spotted and I got the ride of my life. He gave up easily at 10:30 am. I did get to pack my pistol all day with the police though.

Things I learned: call 911 IMMEDIATELY, know your weapons and if you pick it up, be mentally prepared to use it and not just to scare someone away. NEVER go outside your home. I'm very lucky I didn't kill someone or be harmed myself. Most importantly and my biggest problem, not everyone is good and their car just broke down. Bad people are everywhere. Have a plan in your mind before the situation happens. What's this world coming to?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm actually a little surprised at my cousin and his lack of preparedness. Personally I thought he was more armed and prepared for situation but until it happens, I guess none of us know how we would actually react in the same situation. Personally, not sure what I would have done when I found him rifling through the truck but I'm almost sure I would have went outside. That maybe a no no rule but...

Latest posts

Top Bottom