Ruger 357 mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was given a Ruger 357 mag 1st the first of the year. My grandfather pasted on December 31th of 2022, and 2 days later my grandmother called and she she has a box for me. I go get this box and loaded it in the truck and did not even look what was in it. About 2 hours later i left her house and got home not really wanting to look in the box, knowing I had a good idea. So i post the box in the closet for a few day.

I finally got time where I could set down and look at the box and was thing on top with a Runger Security-Six on 357. Look like.it.wad.made in 1976 not not shot a lot.

Well here is the where I'm torn. What to do with this gun? I hate to say it but this gun dose not hold anything to me. Not a big fan of wheel guns, only had a few of them and sold them as fast as I got them.

Doing sell it, or just put it deep into the safe and forget about it. I did try to give it to other family members, but no one wanted it. I come from a liberal family and everyone in the family thought I was the black sheep being big into guns and all.

In one way I would feel bad letting it go as it was one of 2 guns he had. I also had a Remington. 22 right that was made in the late 30's to early 50's. Now I'm not letting that rifle go as it a Kool rifle that once belonged to my great grandfather.

But back to the 357... I would feel bad letting it go just the fact of matters, but I also feel like I should let it go so someone that loves them old wheel guns can enjoy it.

Attachments

• 20230828_162902.jpg
    20230828_162902.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230828_162712.jpg
    20230828_162712.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230828_162708.jpg
    20230828_162708.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well…..do you have any children that you think might appreciate it someday? It didn’t cost you anything so if it sits in the closet until you feel the right decision presents itself then you aren’t out anything. Now, the question is, what would grandad do? About 10 years ago my grandad passed away. A couple years later I was offered his boat which I spent many many hours fishing with him on. It was a saltwater boat and the salt had taken its toll. Especially in the last few years of his life when he was doing the heavy maintenance a saltwater boat requires. I threw more money at that boat than it was worth and took all of my kids out on it as I told them stories of my childhood on it. I finally gave up on getting the boat into the condition I felt it should be in. After it sat for a couple years with me thinking that I could never sell Poppas boat I asked myself, what would Poppa do? Well he wouldn’t just own a pile of rot. So, I put the boat up for sale. Just so happened a neighbor was looking for a project exactly like it. I took every dime and invested it in a big toolbox and many upgrade tools. I see it like……I inherited this box and tools from Poppa and I use them daily. I might have forgotten that boat just sitting out there rotting but now I see my grandad every morning when I walk into my shop. So my opinion is…..If that gun ain’t your thing then sell it and find something that is unless you have a child you think would appreciate it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would hang onto it with both hands and maybe my teeth, but they come out to easy. I love the Security Six especially the 6 inch. I had a stainless years ago that I had to sell when times got hard. I loved that revolver and kick myself any time I think about it.

I would trade my P89 for it along with all mags and holster. :P

Last edited:

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well…..do you have any children that you think might appreciate it someday? It didn’t cost you anything so if it sits in the closet until you feel the right decision presents itself then you aren’t out anything. Now, the question is, what would grandad do? About 10 years ago my grandad passed away. A couple years later I was offered his boat which I spent many many hours fishing with him on. It was a saltwater boat and the salt had taken its toll. Especially in the last few years of his life when he was doing the heavy maintenance a saltwater boat requires. I threw more money at that boat than it was worth and took all of my kids out on it as I told them stories of my childhood on it. I finally gave up on getting the boat into the condition I felt it should be in. After it sat for a couple years with me thinking that I could never sell Poppas boat I asked myself, what would Poppa do? Well he wouldn’t just own a pile of rot. So, I put the boat up for sale. Just so happened a neighbor was looking for a project exactly like it. I took every dime and invested it in a big toolbox and many upgrade tools. I see it like……I inherited this box and tools from Poppa and I use them daily. I might have forgotten that boat just sitting out there rotting but now I see my grandad every morning when I walk into my shop. So my opinion is…..If that gun ain’t your thing then sell it and find something that is unless you have a child you think would appreciate it.
Thank you for your kind words. My grandfather worked on the railroad. I did not spend a lot of time with him as a kid or ad an adult. As a kid (6 years old or younger) I got to go camping with him in his R.V. but it was like 1 or 2 times.

Now as my kids, I would love to pass it down to them as well as my high end Colts. But I have no kids of my own. I have 2 step kids with my ex. When she moved out the kids went with her. They went butt crazy and one went to prison, and the other one is on his way.