Ruger 357 mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to tank each and everyone on of you who took time to post on this. I got a decent job, so I don't got to sell my guns, not like I did when I tried to open my own gun shop.... lol.
I was just wondering at this point, but today I talked it over somewith my mom. I asked if anyone in the family would want it. She said no. Then I asked about my cousin, and she said he would get it and sell it for gs money.
But I am not in a rush to make my mind up. Some of you joked about how I could put it in there safes and I would almost let you, but I still go some room in mine.

But mosofyou said put it back in the safe and think about it for year. So that is what I'm going to do. Like I said I'm in no rush to do anything. My grandparents only have one thii wanted, and it's their cuckoo clock. My great uncle picked it up for my grandma when he was in the navy in the early 60's. The wood used to make it came out of the black forest, and remember as a like age 3 to12 just setting and waiting for it to go off.

My grandma offered it to me about 5 years ago, and I told her no. It gave me a good reason to go over there. It quit working a few times over the years and my grandma HD a guy that worked on them (back when they had clock shops) but I think the last time it quit, we about 1990 and she hs jut put it up in s box waiting for me.

Done get me wrong, I am very happy that they thought of me when it was time, but I never even that gun tell just this year. Now that clock has always been a part of my life and smll things like that is why matters the mot to me.

I love getting Kool things, but I am not going to lie, them things don't matter much to me without them to enjoy it.

Kinda like today, my mom was saying when it was her time, that my sister had the 1st shot t some of her things. I told my mom that my sister has first sot at everything they own, one... she is oder then I am, 2. I saw so many families hte each other over money and small things, and forgot what means the most.

I do thank you all .

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have sold a few of my grandfather's gun over the years for a few reasons,

1) Nobody to pass them on to but drug addicts and booze hounds that would sell them for their next high. Better they go to somebody that will love them and treat them with respect.

2) I was broke and needed to pay for my meds or food.

Last edited:

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When deciding to keep any item inherited from family, I feel you need to fully understand what "sentimental value" means to YOU.
For instance, my Dad has several guns, but only a few hold sentimental value to me. One of them is his Browning Light 12 he purchased new in 1967. It is heavily worn from much use and has his social security # etched on the side. We hunted many pheasants together with him holding that shotgun. When/if the time comes that it gets passed down to me, it will never be sold.
On the other hand, he has a few handguns that he has purchased for home protection or just because he decided he needed a new gun. These I have never seen him shoot or even know if he has shot them. I would consider selling these guns if no other family member wanted them.
All that said, several years ago my FIL sold me a Taurus 38 special revolver that was his dad's (my wife's grandpa) that had recently passed. He (FIL) wanted the money and I had zero use for the revolver so I sold it for what I gave him. My wife came unhinged when she found out that I sold that gun. Just to note, this gun had never been fired. My FIL had purchased it just a few years earlier so his dad would have a gun in his house for home protection.
Again, back to sentimental value - I saw none, my wife somehow saw it differently.
So... I guess my opening statement should actually say, "fully understand what "sentimental value" means to YOU...and YOUR WIFE".

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was given a Ruger 357 mag 1st the first of the year. My grandfather pasted on December 31th of 2022, and 2 days later my grandmother called and she she has a box for me. I go get this box and loaded it in the truck and did not even look what was in it. About 2 hours later i left her house and got home not really wanting to look in the box, knowing I had a good idea. So i post the box in the closet for a few day.

I finally got time where I could set down and look at the box and was thing on top with a Runger Security-Six on 357. Look like.it.wad.made in 1976 not not shot a lot.

Well here is the where I'm torn. What to do with this gun? I hate to say it but this gun dose not hold anything to me. Not a big fan of wheel guns, only had a few of them and sold them as fast as I got them.

Doing sell it, or just put it deep into the safe and forget about it. I did try to give it to other family members, but no one wanted it. I come from a liberal family and everyone in the family thought I was the black sheep being big into guns and all.

In one way I would feel bad letting it go as it was one of 2 guns he had. I also had a Remington. 22 right that was made in the late 30's to early 50's. Now I'm not letting that rifle go as it a Kool rifle that once belonged to my great grandfather.

But back to the 357... I would feel bad letting it go just the fact of matters, but I also feel like I should let it go so someone that loves them old wheel guns can enjoy it.
If your GrandFather was anything like mine, he would say "Boy, sale that thing and get you something you like. I only paid around ??? and you could even double your money."

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like others have said, put in the back of your safe and hold off on doing anything with it for a couple years. Take it out when you have time and maybe shoot it or fondle it. Clean it up and keep it nice, for now. Not sure of your age but you said no kids now. Maybe kids down the line. You have any siblings or close friends that have kids you're fond of and are good people. Down the line maybe you can gift one of these kids the pistol for a special occasion if you have no emotional attachment to it. I'd bet the one gifted the 357 would be super happy and they don't have to know you didn't have the emotional attachment to it but they surely would be happy.

When my grandfather who was a LCDR in the Navy died in 2009. My mom and aunt gave me his 1940'ish High Standard Model B he was issued in the Navy. It's in very nice condition with several mags and the orignial flap holster. I've shot it once and keep it in the back of the safe oiled and pampered. Will never sell it and look forward to handing it down to my son or his kids in the future. It does, however, hold a lot of sentimental value for me.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
When deciding to keep any item inherited from family, I feel you need to fully understand what "sentimental value" means to YOU.
For instance, my Dad has several guns, but only a few hold sentimental value to me. One of them is his Browning Light 12 he purchased new in 1967. It is heavily worn from much use and has his social security # etched on the side. We hunted many pheasants together with him holding that shotgun. When/if the time comes that it gets passed down to me, it will never be sold.
On the other hand, he has a few handguns that he has purchased for home protection or just because he decided he needed a new gun. These I have never seen him shoot or even know if he has shot them. I would consider selling these guns if no other family member wanted them.
All that said, several years ago my FIL sold me a Taurus 38 special revolver that was his dad's (my wife's grandpa) that had recently passed. He (FIL) wanted the money and I had zero use for the revolver so I sold it for what I gave him. My wife came unhinged when she found out that I sold that gun. Just to note, this gun had never been fired. My FIL had purchased it just a few years earlier so his dad would have a gun in his house for home protection.
Again, back to sentimental value - I saw none, my wife somehow saw it differently.
So... I guess my opening statement should actually say, "fully understand what "sentimental value" means to YOU...and YOUR WIFE".
Well said