Ruger American Predator 6.5 Grendel first shots - not happy ( getting better)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took the rifle back out this morning after relieving the stock some along the barrel channel and double checking everything was tight. I also scrubbed the barrel with JB's & wipeout again, not much improvement but some. The largest group being 1.125" & the smallest being 1" even. I think I was not following through with the other shots well last time so I'm unsure what made the slight improvement to be honest. It's shooting accurately enough to deer hunt with at the ranges I shoot but once different ammo arrives we'll see if there's something else it likes better. One group was only 4 shots because I shot a fouler first to rule that out

Attachments

• IMG_20221029_103252722~2.jpg
    IMG_20221029_103252722~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221029_103246055~2.jpg
    IMG_20221029_103246055~2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221029_103240175.jpg
    IMG_20221029_103240175.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up the same rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The stock that comes on it is basically trash, especially if using a bipod and pushing into it at all.

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up the same rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. The stock that comes on it is basically trash, especially if using a bipod and pushing into it at all.
Agreed, I'd get a Boyds but I'd have to buy the a. I. mag conversion kit for mine because it uses the AR mags so I'm looking at ways to make it work. I really regret not getting the 308

rj ︈

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed, I'd get a Boyds but I'd have to buy the a. I. mag conversion kit for mine because it uses the AR mags so I'm looking at ways to make it work. I really regret not getting the 308
I've got my eye on these options:

https://magpul.com/hunter-american-stock-ruger-american-short-action.html?mp_global_color=118
https://mdttac.com/oryx-chassis-system
--

Granted, these are inexpensive rifles, so it doesn't make sense for everyone to buy a $300-$400 stock to throw on it. For me, I think it's worth it given it's a hunting rifle and I plan to be shooting off a tripod or bipod in almost all occasions.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Took the rifle back out this morning after relieving the stock some along the barrel channel and double checking everything was tight. I also scrubbed the barrel with JB's & wipeout again, not much improvement but some. The largest group being 1.125" & the smallest being 1" even. I think I was not following through with the other shots well last time so I'm unsure what made the slight improvement to be honest. It's shooting accurately enough to deer hunt with at the ranges I shoot but once different ammo arrives we'll see if there's something else it likes better. One group was only 4 shots because I shot a fouler first to rule that out
Are these all from the same session and same aimpoint? I'm assuming on every diamond you're shooting the white circle. And your 5 round groups are landing wherever? You are not adjusting anything each group are you? Aimpoint, scope, anything?

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are these all from the same session and same aimpoint? I'm assuming on every diamond you're shooting the white circle. And your 5 round groups are landing wherever? You are not adjusting anything each group are you? Aimpoint, scope, anything?
He may be single loading causing him to re-shoulder and re-establish cheek weld. This isn’t a good or consistent way to shoot for groups from a bipod and rear bag, especially if you are shooting from a seated bench position.

There is also the unfortunate possibility he has a Monday morning rifle and not a Wednesday afternoon rifle. Although, I wouldn’t give up on it just yet.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I asked because if he's not adjusting any knobs or doing any tweaking between shots/groups, he's just shooting 5round groups, then moving to the next target and 5 rounds and on, then with the groups moving like that and each group has a random kind of spread, it looks optical. Something looks like it's moving. I see this a lot in sights with mount quality or issues, bad torque values, jacked erectors, etc. There are things to do to rule it though.

Last edited:

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm loading the magazine with 5 then shooting all 5 but the gun jumps so much at the muzzle I'm having to completely reset after each shot so I might as well be single loading lol

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He may be single loading causing him to re-shoulder and re-establish cheek weld. This isn’t a good or consistent way to shoot for groups from a bipod and rear bag, especially if you are shooting from a seated bench position.

There is also the unfortunate possibility he has a Monday morning rifle and not a Wednesday afternoon rifle. Although, I wouldn’t give up on it just yet.
I am having to re establish cheek weld after each shot unfortunately, I am shooting it cross arm style so after reading your comment I'm wondering if hold the forearm may help?

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm loading the magazine with 5 then shooting all 5 but the gun jumps so much at the muzzle I'm having to completely reset after each shot so I might as well be single loading lol
So even if you are making large groups, they are still groups, although they have absolutely no pattern. Nothing vertical, nothing horizontal, they are just pretty random. The groups should not float around the aimpoint like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom