Ruger LCP & S&W 442 Compared???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys just thinking of changing to a revolver for daily carry. I currently have the LCP, and it's great for carry, but the trigger and recoil is terrible. Do you guys experience this or am I a you know what? I'd like something I can comfortably shoot accuratley, find ammo at local shops, and carry like the LCP. Is this possible with the 442? Any other suggestions?

Dbltap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an LCP and a S&W 642(same as 442 just different finish). LCP is smaller and easier to carry in some instances, but I prefer the 642 over the LCP. Easier to shoot, less recoil, better trigger, and gets carried a lot more.

OologahBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at the LCR and I really liked the factory grip on it better than the smith j-frame grip and was looking into buying one tell my brother went to Metlocks and talked to them about the LCR. The salesman said this is what he didn't like about them, he picked it up and shook it and it raddled. when my brother told me that I decided against the LCR. I recently purchased a 638. I wanted a 642 but bought this instead and it has grown on me. Now I am glad I bought it. Now I just got to get a crimson trace grip for it. I can't decide between the Lg-305 or the Lg-405.

Navydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just bought a 442 last week and im very impressed with how tight everything is, i was debating between it and an lcr but as someone else already said the lcr rattled and was real loose, the 442 looks and feels way better constructed. i love it and j frames have really grown on me

ch-47 mech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just bought a 442 today and im very impressed with it gonna go shoot it tomorrow. fiance bought it for me to carry this summer in place of my glock 27 but i think its gonna be my all time carry gun light weight very tight easy to carry everyone needs one of these. looked at the lcr and was turned away when it started rattling something about loose parts inside a new gun i just couldnt sheel out the cash or trust it to work when i need it to. it might be a very reliable pistol a little to new to really tell.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I think I may just pick up a smith sometime. What do you think about the 342? Will it be too light and recoil like or worse than the lcp?

rh6585

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the rattle thing is definitely true. I am just hoping that the engineers/designers at ruger did that for a reason. I can't imagine that it is just a quality or cost control issue.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might consider my personal favorite, the S&W model 638. It offers snag free pocket carry and the option of single action, which the 442 and 642 do not. I carry and shoot .38+P ammo and find the recoil reasonable.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love my 642. I've shot the .38 +P Gold Dot into water jugs from about 7 yards and the expansion was impressive. I know that's not the same as human tissue, but I'm confident in the round for close range self defense.

I hand load light .38 LSWC's which makes the gun a lot of fun to shoot. 50-100 rounds isn't bad at all, and for me, a lot of trigger time is important for shooting those light J-frames quickly and accurately.

All in all, I think you should go for the revolver. It will be slightly more difficult to carry, but the better ballistics and variety of ammo available for target and self-defense are a huge benefit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom