Ruger LCP & S&W 442 Compared???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with the Smith and Wesson J frame either a 642 or 442. The 638 is also a decent choice. You will find more accessories for the Smith than the ruger right now. Smith and Wesson has been making revolvers right for a really long time and their craftsmanship is top notch. I carry a 642 in a pocket holster everyday with no problems at all.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the 642 and the LCP. When I can't carry IWB with something else the ankle (642) and the pocket carry (LCP) combined aren't bad.

kpk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't EVEN get me started! :rolleyes2

HAHA I like it GED!

I honestly new the answer to this question before I posted, because S&W is just nice! I got a 686 and the trigger compared to anything else I have is seamless...

I've been looking at the 640, 649, 49, and 40. I cant decidide if I like the "humback" with the hammer for double action use with the 649 and 49 or the centennial style...what do you all think? I jut worry about the covered up hammer of the 640...

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I gotta recommend the 442/642. I've had a couple of 442's and I won't part with my no-lock 442 ever. Plan on spending a little extra to get the trigger nice; it makes a huge difference. I don't have any experience with the LCR, but I love the 442. I've got the LG105 grips on it which are very compact. The LG305's are bigger and the LG405's are their premium small grip with padding in the front/back for recoil management. I still like the cheaper LG105's best.

Good luck,

Alan

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
HAHA I like it GED!

I honestly new the answer to this question before I posted, because S&W is just nice! I got a 686 and the trigger compared to anything else I have is seamless...

I've been looking at the 640, 649, 49, and 40. I cant decidide if I like the "humback" with the hammer for double action use with the 649 and 49 or the centennial style...what do you all think? I jut worry about the covered up hammer of the 640...

The .380 like the .32 are designed to work well with a barrel of at least 3.9" to 4". Once you start shortening the barrel you loose alot quick. Evaluating the LCP to a S&W J-frame, the S&W is going to win hands down. Granted it may not hold as many bullets as an LCP or some of the other small pocket rockets, but it makes up for it with its ability to throw a heavier projectile, different bullet shapes i.e. WC, SWC, SJHP. I would suggest you read up on Jim Cirillo, and the gunfights he has been in an on the ammunition used, and his conclussions of projectile configurations that worked, where others failed.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

What is your worry about the covered hammer? If it is that you can't see it, my technique for always making sure the gun is "safe" with the hammer down is when I am done handling or shooting it to make sure it is empty, pull the trigger, visibly see the firing pin protrude, then release the trigger which pulls the hammer back into locked and uncocked position. Then I load it for carry.

I would like the flexibility of SA, but for a carry gun, I'm never going to cock it before using it in that role so the way I look at it, why have the ability and or practice with it that way. I also just can't get past the look of the circular end of the 638. Nothing against you guys who love the 638, the look just doesn't do it for me.

The centennial also do not have a hammer block (they rely on the rebound slide to lock the hammer) so that is one less part to rattle or cause an issue. Also, enclosured so no dirt can get into them.

Can you tell I am centennial fan? Good luck, you gotta get what works best for you!

Alan

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
looks like you are convinced a J frame is the way to go.
now to decide exposed hammer, covered or humpback which are uglier than dirt but super functional.

can't speak about the humpback as I have not spent much time with it.
but can speak from experience from 337PD (exposed hammer) and 340PD (covered hammer).

EDC 337PD front pocket with success... did worry about hammer snagging on the way out. ended up using mostly DA with SA on rare occasions.

in the meanwhile a 340PD popped on OSA ... jumped on it as they are hard to find. of course had to try out full house .357 which was not bad as all the press. but still ended up back carrying +P

now 337PD is a safe queen.... 340PD does EDC duties, each and every day.

for CCW get an enclosed trigger J frame ... lots of different flavors to choice from. if you can invest the $$$ don't hesitate to go with 340PD with CT

Latest posts

Top Bottom