Ruger LCR 38sp!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
You going to be changing your username now?
He is going to be alright , just slumming until he gets his G R 17 in from Fantasyland Guns!!! 🤣
1679698817742.png

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. I have both a Smith 640 and 642. I prefer the shootability of the 640 any day over the 642 due to its weight.

I've carried a 640-1, and had no problem with the weight while carrying.

I've fired full house 357 Mag in it, and like you say, the weight comes into its own there. I carry it with 38 +P.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
The 340PD is supposed to be 11.8oz. I have a friend that claims he's beat that with a .357 360J with a titanium cylinder from Midway installed, but I haven't personally weighed it.
I always thought the LCR was ridiculously heavy for being half polymer. I think S&W has several lighter full metal models. Eventually it gets to the point where you're weighing grips to shave fractions of an ounce off.
@pstmstr was it a 340 you showed me the other weekend? Have you put it on a scale?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004471937?pid=512963
340 M&P, a little less than 14 ounces unloaded. I’ve also put Crimson Trace 405 grips on it so I’m sure it’s heavier. Here is a write up on it. Wheelgun Wednesday: S&W M&P 340, Deep Cover Fighting Revolver -

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not get it.... What is the deal with light weight pistols? I have a buddy that is all over lightening his carry pistols . I just carry whatever pistol/ revolver I have and really with the exception of the 4inch 357 being kind of uncomfortable when driving , I don't really notice the difference between my lightweight 38 or the other carry guns. Let me say that I framed houses for a living so I was always carrying around tool bags and maybe that is why I am not weight sensitive.
You’re a strong and burly man. You obviously eat your wheaties

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I do not get it.... What is the deal with light weight pistols? I have a buddy that is all over lightening his carry pistols . I just carry whatever pistol/ revolver I have and really with the exception of the 4inch 357 being kind of uncomfortable when driving , I don't really notice the difference between my lightweight 38 or the other carry guns. Let me say that I framed houses for a living so I was always carrying around tool bags and maybe that is why I am not weight sensitive.
A lot of people pocket carry a j frame and the lighter weight makes a noticeable difference to me. The heavier guns are definitely more shootable but there’s a trade off with that versus a gun carried or a gun left at home. As with many things, it’s an individual choice. I can shoot the 340 j frame as well as my 642 at 7 yards with the ammo I carry in it. And…. This model has much better front sight. The clothing we wear and the environment we spend most of our time in help determine the best carry method and type of gun we carry. Any gun that is actually carried is better than a gun left at home.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people pocket carry a j frame and the lighter weight makes a noticeable difference to me. The heavier guns are definitely more shootable but there’s a trade off with that versus a gun carried or a gun left at home. As with many things, it’s an individual choice. I can shoot the 340 j frame as well as my 642 at 7 yards with the ammo I carry in it. And…. This model has much better front sight. The clothing we wear and the environment we spend most of our time in help determine the best carry method and type of gun we carry. Any gun that is actually carried is better than a gun left at home.

Good words! True last sentence!

Latest posts

Top Bottom